Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEW Tool Library

266 REPLIES 266
SOLVED
Message 1 of 267
veso58S5W
149621 Views, 266 Replies

NEW Tool Library

😫that's first impression.
What was the reason to change?
Why mess up good things?
How you organize tools? If I want list to be by #. Or by diameters?
Renumber Tool, now I must go through several operations.

266 REPLIES 266
Message 21 of 267
mikeireland
in reply to: Captain-DJ

I have tried to use the new tool library feature for the past several weeks.  On the plus side, I really like the ability to have more than one set of feeds and speeds for a given tool.  To be able to set values for a single tool when used for roughing or finishing and in different materials is great!

On the negative, I would like to echo the other comments about the lack of sorting, renumbering, deleting unused tools etc.  I also find the font size/type very difficult to read.  The heavier font in the old tool library was much easier to see on the screen.  In general I think the text and icons need more contrast with the back ground.  I think the new layout for the filter area takes up too much space.  I also think it makes more sense to have the search input over with the filters instead of on the top where it is hard to see.  I would also like to be able to adjust the width of the windows for the list of libraries, the selection window in the middle and the right hand area where the filter and info items appear to make better use of the space that I am looking at.

Message 22 of 267

When you expect Tool Library to be fully sorted? 

Some things (unsorted tools, the most) are really annoying.

Message 23 of 267
Mattxer
in reply to: veso58S5W

I would be interesting to see if you could add different "profiles" to a tool. So for example i have a 1/2 inch end mill. 1 profile could be roughing, another could be semi finish or finish and allow you to set multiple speeds and feeds for one tool instead of having to make multiple of the same tool for different ops. And depending on the operation maybe have an option to auto select roughing for adaptive and finish for something like contouring it would definitely increase productivity.

Matt Smith
Software Engineer - MSmithDev - https://msmithdev.com/
CAD/CAM/CNC - Micro Insert Inc. - https://microinsertinc.com/
Message 24 of 267
veso58S5W
in reply to: Mattxer

Of course that would be benefit. Specially for new CAM users.
Many little things lead to super fast or slow job. I am happy that F360 did a try about speed/feed recommendations, as some of tool manufacturers calculations/recommendations can lead in really bad results.

Running Adaptive on some tools (based on specs from tool maker) are really - dangerous 😮
@christopher.cooperVHK2N might know more about possibility.

Message 25 of 267
stephen.irvine

Hi Mattxer

This multiple "profiles" is exactly what we see the new Multiple Speeds and Feeds feature to be! We're definitely thinking about what we could do in the future surrounding making recommendations based on the current details of the current setup and operation although it'll be a lot of work before we get there. Any ideas you have about this are very interesting to us.

Right now we're in a position where most of the complaints we are seeing on the forums are things that we've already fixed internally, and we're really excited to get what we're working on here into your hands as soon as we can. Sadly I'm not really allowed to comment on specific time-frames so I can't really say more than that 😞 

Thanks

Steve 

Stephen Irvine
Principal SW Engineer
Message 26 of 267
Mattxer
in reply to: veso58S5W

I agree some calculators don't work well, Widia on the other hand is amazing with their feeds and speeds. I'm working with Ti 6al4v for the first time and i was blown away by the performance of their calculated feeds and speeds.

Matt Smith
Message 27 of 267
Mattxer
in reply to: stephen.irvine

From a UI perspective i think having a tab with a table for speeds and feeds would make sense. Then each table item would start with the operation (slotting, hsm, side milling...) and then its corresponding speeds and feeds. Then when it comes to programming an op, when you select a tool you also select a profle ( Tool->what feed and speed setting you want to apply)

Maybe something like this? Definitely many ways to tackle this 🙂

Untitled.png

Untitled2.png

Matt Smith
Message 28 of 267
stephen.irvine

I think I misunderstood, I thought you were already looking at the preview. If you are not you can see what we've currently got for Multiple Feeds and Speeds right now, you just have to turn on the New Tool Library preview. You'll see a totally different looking UI and there will be a table of Feeds and Speeds for each tool.

The preview version is quite old now and it's missing many other features so be warned it's not really a full replacement yet! But if you want to check out the new Multi F&S feature have a look now.

Stephen Irvine
Principal SW Engineer
Message 29 of 267
Mattxer

I also misunderstood haha, I didn't realize this was baked into the preview. I tried the new library for a day and had to revert because it was a bit frustrating to use. After looking at the preview its hilarious that its exactly how i imagined it.

Matt Smith
Message 30 of 267

Hello @veso58S5W 

We currently are working on the majority of suggestions that have been covered in the feedback. The preview you are seeing is a little behind but unfortunately I am not permitted to state when these changes will make the production version.

Christopher Cooper
Technical Consultant
Message 31 of 267

I tried and was immediately greeted with a very slow response followed by error messages about not being able to load tools. I ignored the errors until I could not even choose to tool for the project I was working on.

For the very brief moment that I was able to try.....I just saw the same stuff arranged differently with no immediate sign of new concepts or features that would actually speed up the process.

If a feature looks different, but offers no improvements: I'm out.
If a feature offers improvements, but introduces bugs: I'm out.
If a new feature looks amazing, but is slow or laggy: I'm out.

Programming CNC's is a game of SPEED. All I really care about is how fast can I get from nothing to a setup and proven program. Deliver value, not change for the sake of change.

Carlos Acosta
Factory400 - YouTube|Instagram
Message 32 of 267

Hi  engineeringNCMXB,

I'm sorry to hear that you got so many errors trying to load your tools. In order to make the tool library a little bit more robust we have attempted to more accurately define what data must and must not exist for a tool to be valid, and it's probable that your tool data either contains unexpected information or is missing information we previously though was vital. If it is possible for you to share with us any Tool Libraries (or documents that contain tools) that cause the new tool library to display errors it would be very helpful for us. It may be that we need to update our definitions, or provide some additional migration functionality.

As for the speed issue, we recognize that for the tool library being able to get in, select your tool and apply it to the operation is a critical path that users will hit over and over again. We've been working hard on speeding up the tool library since the holiday so hopefully when we next update it you will see a significant improvement in this area.

Thanks for giving it a try and thanks for the feedback.

Steve

Stephen Irvine
Principal SW Engineer
Message 33 of 267

I believe you could go back to old Tool Library look by deselecting Preview in your Preferences.
Right?

Message 34 of 267

Yes, of course. That is exactly what I did after a short test run of the new library. The 'preview' concept is great! I can try new (but unfinished) ideas and offer some feedback with no risk.

Carlos Acosta
Message 35 of 267

I am coordinating a total tool library revamp for my team. I will be re-visiting this again next week along with every other element of tool management for teams, machine families, and part families.

Carlos Acosta
Message 36 of 267
s.noke71
in reply to: engineeringNCMXB

Ive had a quick look and have to say i dont like it at the moment. Can we please have the ability to bring in tools from manufacturers especially turning tools

Message 37 of 267

The view of the main library list will change significantly when our updates to the tool library go out so there should be sort-able columns. If you get a new version of fusion but you do not see multiple columns in the main tool list, there won't be any point looking because nothing will have changed since last time. I can't give exact dates or anything because they may be subject to change legal stuff legal stuff etc ... but in short next week will probably be too soon sadly.

So yeah you can fire up the 'new tool library' every so often. You'll know our updates have hit when the main tool list has columns. There will be a load of other stuff added that's just going to be the most immediately visible change to let you know it's worth further investigation at that point. 

I appreciate this is quite vague, sorry I'm not sure what details I'm allowed to give RE release schedules etc here.

Thanks

Stephen

Stephen Irvine
Principal SW Engineer
Message 38 of 267
dennyreedjr
in reply to: cj.abraham

• I love the idea of having different feed and speed presets for each tool. What I'd like to see is to take this one step further and give us a spot in the tool interface to include DOC and WOC in the preset to auto-fill in the operation. So if I select a preset with finish speeds that have a maximum WOC of 0.2" it automatically fills that into the optimum cut width, or step over distance, same goes for DOC. Everybody has proven recipes that work with their machines and generally will push their tooling to the max for tool life compared to MRR. All of these recipes have max DOC, and WOC to not include it in the speeds and feeds with each tool is creating a time-wasting step in each and every operation, not to mention it is creating the potential for broken tools and damaged parts.

• I would also like to see that my list of libraries stays the same as it did when I last left it. I have different libraries set up for different machines and materials. I don't like that every time I go to select a tool it opens the full list of libraries and I have to close them from view just to declutter my 3-mile long list of tools.

• It would be nice to be able to create preset speeds and feeds based on the material and those feeds would have selectable visibility to only show up by the material that is in the drawing. So as to not accidentally select aluminum feeds for a steel part.

• One of the biggest improvements you could do is to allow the importing of tool holders. There isn't a tooling supplier around that doesn't have a 3d cad drawing of their holder. For me to have to draw my holders the way it is currently is creating bald patches on my scalp to be nice about it.

Disregard the bit about DOC and WOC I see its already there duh. 😋

Message 39 of 267
veso58S5W

Just working on tools, came to mind:
Can we have Number/Code of the tool just for that one?
From 0 to 5000.....anything. That number shouldn't nothing to have with Post Number (what is definitely limited, based on the machine)
I think it should be another line in General tab, where is Description also, the very first line Tool #. I can put it now, in Description, but it is not going to list in order.
I have right now several libraries of mills. Just tools. There should be tools numbered in sequences.
Then I have separate library where are Mills+Holders, that one I use for CAM. In that one Post Number is essential, but Tool Number should be also useful (as I can go to data and see who made it, what it is etc)

Message 40 of 267
Anonymous
in reply to: cj.abraham

It's sooo like SOOOOOO far from usable. It shouldn't even be offered to users to see this. Just looked at it today, and it's useless.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report