Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with 2d CNC function

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
256 Views, 7 Replies

Need help with 2d CNC function

Hi everyone 

Please bear with me whilst I try my best to explain (Relatively new to fusion)

I have imported my design as an SVG into fusion but am having issues when it comes to the manufacturing part. My design is a text that I’d like to CNC from acrylic and I need the text to be 6mm wide so I can put some led strip lights into the channels. 

what is the best way to achieve this? I can’t select a 6mm tool as the design is 5.2-5.8mm wide. Ideally I need a single tool path through the centre of the text but using a 5mm tool doesn’t do this as it’s 5.8mm in places.  I’ve spent many many hours trying to work out how and before my pc goes out the window, I thought I’d ask here!

any guidance would be gratefully received 😊

lauren 

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I've attached the file below for anyone who can help me 

TIA

Lauren 

Message 3 of 8
engineguy

@Anonymous 

You will need a "Single Line Text" to do what you are asking, however to create 6mm wide slot that you can fit the LEDs into then you will need to use a 6mm cutter, not possible to get a varying width slot in your model to give you a perfect 6mm slot.

It is possible with a fair bit of work to create a single line using Sketch that is pretty much in the centre of your model slot by using a combination of Lines, Arcs, Splines, Conical Curves etc.

I have done a small part of your model this way as an example, see image below and the attached file, best I can come up with for now, apologies.

Image-1 Sketch

netflix-1.jpg

The Sketch above gives you the toolpath below using Trace

netflix-2.jpg

The toolpath above using Trace and a 6mm cutter gives you the 6mm wide slot shown below

netflix-3.jpg

Hope that is of some small assistance, I have no doubt that I will have missed a much simpler method of doing what is required but for now this all my old brain has produced, if you can find a way to create a centre line in the original software used to create the file then that would be easiest 🙂 🙂 🙂

Stay Safe

Regards

Rob

Message 4 of 8
Stuart-H
in reply to: engineguy

Why not post the trace code from fusion but tel it to use a 5.8mm cutter 

then just put a 6 mm cutter in the machine ok it’s a quick and dirty way but it should be ok but the text will slightly longer

Mac Studio M1Max and MacBook Pro M1
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: engineguy

Thanks @engineguy That was my next thing to try, but it’s going to be very time consuming so was hoping the was a quicker and easier way. 

I could probably create it into a single line font easier in illustrator and then upload the svg like I had done in the example I sent. I’ll give it a go! 

thanks for your guidance so far, it’s hugely appreciated 😊

lauren

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Stuart-H

@Stuart-HWhat do you mean trace code? I’m quite new with these terms! 

Message 7 of 8
engineguy
in reply to: Stuart-H

@Stuart-H 

Tried that, unfortunately because the shape varies in width and the trace follows the shape in some areas it would create a slot that is much wider than the 6mm required for fitting the LEDs.

Running a 6mm cutter on a centre line will give an exact 6mm wide slot seems to me to be the only way to get a uniform 6mm slot 🙂 🙂 🙂

Stay Safe

Regards

Rob

Message 8 of 8
engineguy

@Anonymous 

If you can go back to Illustrator and create a "Single Line" type Font that is the shape you want then that would definitely be the best/quickest way forward, doing what I did was the only way with the software I have available 🙂 🙂

You could then just follow the line for a quick and easy toolpath 🙂

Stay Safe

Regards

Rob

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report