Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Managing machining workflow.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
BillGEGHV
340 Views, 5 Replies

Managing machining workflow.

Im curious to know how large or even small machine shops manage the downstream workflow from programmer to machine operator to final part but specifically how they keep track of and document a good (verified / perfect) program from one that needs changes and reprogramming or just some small tweaks.  ?  Ive been trying to come up with the most logical method of managing all this.  I think the simple answer would be for the machine operator to make changes as he sees fit at the control, BUT question is once thats done it is not reflected in the CAM so how do they deal with that? Maybe easy when its a simple program and part. but what about millions of lines of code for something really complex with a large number of MOPs?

Also keeping in mind a med to larger shop is going to have CAD designer, programmer, machine operator AND a QA person. What if YOU are ALL of these rolls as a one-man show? I have no help!

For me I keep thinking it would be nice to color code the NC programs accordingly, but many times your not watching the machine run every second to keep track of what’s good and what’s bad.  Like highlighted in GREEN for GOOD program, maybe yellow for needs changes, and red for NO GOOD? I keep trying to keep track of all this by written notes and its not very efficient and very difficult to keep track of since I have a 4 part 2 molds at a time multiset up on the mill. The molds Im machining RN are a 5:10 hr cut time, and im getting comfortable that the program is good to run on its own without me standing watch at the machine.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
leo.castellon
in reply to: BillGEGHV

The operator should provide feedback to the programmer if the operator makes adjustments at the controller, like changing speeds and feeds. Then the programmer goes back into the program and makes those changes and then SAVES the program. If the programmer wants to make life easier, he will then save those operations and then on each operation, use "save as template", so when the programmer needs to use for example, a custom "jeweler's bit" on another part, he just uses the option in Fusion called "create from template".  In your case, you could program one mold, save the entire program as a template, then on a similar mold, use the same technique, "create from template" and then just choose the new geometry and regenerate. 

LeoC

Message 3 of 6
seth.madore
in reply to: BillGEGHV

I ran (and still do, to some extent) a one-man shop (see my link in signature). When I had an employee, any change that was needed was handled in Fusion and then posted out again. CAM and NC Program always matched. Once the job was complete, we posted the code out of the machine and back onto our server, saving it in the job folder (Customer > Part Number > Programs > Proven). That way, Fusion is up to date, NC code is ready to go, everything is good. Some may ask; "Why not just post out the code again when needed". Sure, that works, in theory. Murphy's Law being what it is, I'm satisfied knowing that the whole internet could fall down and I'd at least still have proven programs stored safely offline.

In mid size shops, it's not uncommon for each machinist to be the programmer and operator. They would take these same steps, always saving out proven code and ensuring that Fusion and existing g-code were at parity.

Well, that's my $.0000002 anyways (current value adjusted for inflation)

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 4 of 6

Haas have a notepad holder by the screen for a reason!

I change simple F in code and edit program after job complete, and any DOC/WOC/3D issues are dealt with and re-posted and ran. All changes get written down shorthand (F+, DOC+, S-, T1 -.02") etc. and marked off as they are updated in the software. One final post when the parts are done for next time. 

Dont forget to use the NCprogram manager 

Please click "Accept Solution" if what I wrote solved your issue!
Message 5 of 6
BillGEGHV
in reply to: leo.castellon

Good input Ive been going through each mold individually up to this point while making final changes.  Now is a good time to use "save as template" Thanks for reminding me that is an option. 

Message 6 of 6

Im a big note-taker, I like the short-hand approach I will implement that in my notes as I move forward. 

All the info provided by you guys is more or less what Ive been doing, it's just a lot to keep track of and do when YOUR the guy! the only guy!. but we all know CNC machining is not easy it just looks that way. 

Thanks for input. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report