Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loss of 3 Axis in the Basic package for Enthusiast/Hobbyist/Start up ?

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
Trigg3r
998 Views, 18 Replies

Loss of 3 Axis in the Basic package for Enthusiast/Hobbyist/Start up ?

It would appear 3 Axis capability will not be available in Fusion 360 Basic but only in Ultimate which will not have a cost free option for Home users ?

Can anyone confirm this and if so why the direction change from earlier ?

I realise Autodesk aren't a charity but I've spent a few months using/learning Fusion for the CAM capabilities believing I would have access to 3 axis under the 'Enthusiast/Home/Startup' licence but now it seems we'll be back to 2.5 axis at the end of the preview ?

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
Steinwerks
in reply to: Trigg3r

I feel this is very much in line with their attitude towards HSMWorks and Inventor HSM, IE that 2.5 axis is free. I went ahead and bought the subscription for $300/year to get grandfathered in to Ultimate. Frankly, $300/year for 3-axis CAM that works is a steal. I don't remember any statements that CAM was going to be free at all, merely that it was free during the beta and tech preview periods. At that point, if you start using it for profit, you no longer have to worry about changing licenses either.

I still view Fusion 360 as a "game-changer" (as much as I loathe that term) with regards to CAM offerings on the general market considering the price, at least at the $300 mark.

Neal Stein

New to Fusion 360 CAM? Click here for an introduction to 2D Milling, here for 2D Turning.

Find me on:
Instagram and YouTube
Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
in reply to: Steinwerks

Agreed, and IMHO, I feel Drawing and 3D Printing will be more important then CAM for Home users.

I'm planning to upgrade but because my country has no EStore, it's such a hassle having to contact resellers. Still waiting for them to reply my enquiry :@
Message 4 of 19
anthony.graves
in reply to: Anonymous

omartan 90 - please email me if you have not received any reply from your Reseller/Channel Partner in the next day or so. I want to make sure you are able to order, barring any regional restrictions (I know of none, but I do not have all the details regarding international sales), so you can take advantage of the upgrade offer.

Regarding enthusiast offerings for Ultimate, I will check into this. Certainly there will be many individuals who would like to use 3D for personal, non-profit/non-commercial use. Let me check on this and get you a reply.

We appreciate everyone's interest in Fusion 360, especially in regards to our CAM capabilties. Those of us on the Autodesk CAM and Fusion 360 Teams agree that Fusion is going to have a big impact on the industry. As evidenced by your comments, I think it already is.

Anthony Graves

Product Manager, CAM

Tags (1)
Message 5 of 19
O.Tan
in reply to: anthony.graves

Thanks, but I already got it sorted out by making a new account and subscribing via the new account through the Mac App Store (avoiding any potential hassles)

Well drawings should certainly be in the base plan as people will need to send out their drawings for fabrication.

As for CAM, perhaps 2.5-3 Axis be offered for the base and Ultimate get things like CNC Lathe and 4-5 Axis?

Just a suggestion

Omar Tan
Malaysia
Mac Pro (Late 2013) | 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5 | 12GB 1.8 GHz DDR3 ECC | Dual 2GB AMD FirePro D300
MacBook Pro 15" (Late 2016) | 2.6 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 | 16GB 2.1 GHz LPDDR3 | 4GB AMD RadeonPro 460
macOS Sierra, Windows 10

Message 6 of 19
anthony.graves
in reply to: O.Tan

@O.Tan wrote:
Thanks, but I already got it sorted out by making a new account and subscribing via the new account through the Mac App Store (avoiding any potential hassles)

Well drawings should certainly be in the base plan as people will need to send out their drawings for fabrication.

As for CAM, perhaps 2.5-3 Axis be offered for the base and Ultimate get things like CNC Lathe and 4-5 Axis?

Just a suggestion

Excellent.

Drawings functionality will be part of Fusion 360 and Fusion 360 Ultimate. 3/3+2 will definitely be part of Ulimate. 5-axis (or Multiaxis as we refer to it) will likely be part of Fusion 360 Ultimate, but that has not been nailed down. The Autodesk CAM Team is currently working on introducing 5-axis with Inventor HSM Pro 2015 sometime in November. This is the next step towards introducing the functionality into Fusion. While we work on 5-axis we'll also be working hard to get Turning into Inventor HSM and Inventor HSM Pro, and then will look at what that means for Fusion.

As Fusion continues to evolve as a product a great deal of thought is going into keeping things as straight-forward as possible. That includes capabilities (packaging) and pricing.

Anthony Graves

Product Manager, CAM

Tags (1)
Message 7 of 19
Trigg3r

@anthony.graves wrote:

@O.Tan wrote:

Just a suggestion

Excellent.

Drawings functionality will be part of Fusion 360 and Fusion 360 Ultimate. 3/3+2 will definitely be part of Ulimate. 5-axis (or Multiaxis as we refer to it) will likely be part of Fusion 360 Ultimate, but that has not been nailed down. The Autodesk CAM Team is currently working on introducing 5-axis with Inventor HSM Pro 2015 sometime in November. This is the next step towards introducing the functionality into Fusion. While we work on 5-axis we'll also be working hard to get Turning into Inventor HSM and Inventor HSM Pro, and then will look at what that means for Fusion.

As Fusion continues to evolve as a product a great deal of thought is going into keeping things as straight-forward as possible. That includes capabilities (packaging) and pricing.

Anthony Graves

Product Manager, CAM

Anthony, that's good to hear. 

As O.Tan mentioned, 3+2, Muti Axis and Turning etc could be reserved for Ultimate, but I'm certain theres a few of us about who have 3-Axis capability at home and would make us of 3 Axis as a Hobbyist/Enthusiast. 🙂

Message 8 of 19
Trigg3r

Anthony, any news ? The 8th is fast approaching :0
Message 9 of 19
kb9ydn

Anthony already stated, 3/3+2 will be part of ultimate.  This is in sync with how it is for HSMWorks in Inventor and Solidworks; 2.5D is free and 3/3+2/turning is a level up in price.  And actually with Solidworks and Inventor, 5 axis and mill/turn are another level up from there, so if those are included in Fusion Ultimate it would be a bonus.

If you look at what 3D machining costs with other CAD/CAM packages, even at the regular price of $100/month Fusion Ultimate still a serious bargain.  And to get Ultimate for $25/month is bordering on insanity!  This is a RIDICULOUSLY good deal.

C|

Message 10 of 19
Trigg3r
in reply to: kb9ydn

That's correct, but not what I was alluding to, and yes it's amazing value if you're using it for any kind of profit making.

@anthony.graves wrote:

Regarding enthusiast offerings for Ultimate, I will check into this. Certainly there will be many individuals who would like to use 3D for personal, non-profit/non-commercial use. Let me check on this and get you a reply.

Anthony Graves

Product Manager, CAM

I was, however, refering to this, me being an enthusiast....

Message 11 of 19
kb9ydn

Ahh yes, sorry.  I had forgotten that the startup/enthusiast option was free.  In that case maybe it would make sense to have a startup/enthusiast version of Ultimate at the $25/month(??) price point?

C|

Message 12 of 19
carl_bass
in reply to: kb9ydn

I think Ultimate should be free for enthusiasts and startups. I'm working on it and will get back to you

Message 13 of 19
Trigg3r
in reply to: carl_bass

IMHO most entusiasts/hobbyists won't have a need for 3+2 or Multi-Axis capability, but certainly 3-axis would be usable by most.

Robot Very Happy

Message 14 of 19
carl_bass

I agree completely -- almost everyone will need the 3 axis toolpaths but not simultaneous 5 or 3+2.

We do want to make sure those who need it, be they enthusiasts or students have access to it

Message 15 of 19
anthony.graves

Trigg3r,

I haven't received final word, but as Carl Bass noted in a response in one of the other threads, I think a lot of people here at Autodesk see how 3-axis is a pretty essential feature for enthusiasts so I know there are discussions about keeping Ultimate open for that category of users.

Ref.: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/preview-cam/loss-of-3-axis-in-the-basic-package-for-enthusiast-hobbyis...

Anthony Graves

Product Manager, CAM

Message 16 of 19

One last note on that, because there is a special offer for users whereby you can get access to Ultimate for the price of standard Fusion 360 if you purchase an annual subscription now, and keep it active, I would serious consider making the investment if you plan on using a tool like this. For $300/yr (based on an annual subscription), this is an incredible deal.

Anthony Graves

Product Manager, CAM

Message 17 of 19
Trigg3r

Thanks for your replys, hopefully something can be sorted for us Enthusiasts/Hobbyists. 

Don't get me wrong Anthony, I realise that the current offer is remarkably generous and if I was in a position to justify it (eg: a startup, with maybe some profit in the future) I'd have jumped at it personally.

Unfortunately everything I do, like with the rest of our team, is on a voluntary basis to help out, we even scrounge material !

I've just taken the opportunity while I have access to a 3 axis machine to learn as much as possible. I've done lots of manual machining over the last 20 odd years but CNC operation was a mystery 12 months ago, nevermind 3D modeling or CAM !  

Fusion 360 has enabled me venture into 3 Axis CAM for the first time, and I'm eager to learn more... 😄

Message 18 of 19
carl_bass

We're going to make 3 axis available to enthusiasts/startups. We're just working out some of the details

Message 19 of 19
skogmartin
in reply to: carl_bass

That's fantastic! Thank you very much.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report