Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lathe Face Turning

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Infinite_Chatter
212 Views, 3 Replies

Lathe Face Turning

I have run into an issue with generating a clean tool path. I am working with a VTL using a lefthanded tool running M3 (clockwise/standard). Due to the machine and material this part has to be run in a way that the tool path plunges down in Z towards the face. I have been able to generate a tool path that gets close to what I want:

Infinite_Chatter_0-1722447387934.png

Ideally, I would want this tool path, but I would want each pass to go full depth to the top of the "hump" instead I get a bizarre taper angle. I have tried to alter every setting I could to achieve my result. 

when turning off allow grooving I get more of the non-taper angle I want, but my pass stops at the face of the part. As a work around we have used this but manually altered the final Z depth in the G-Code.

Infinite_Chatter_1-1722447638068.png

I assume it has to do with the tool being used, but in the attached file it can be seen that the tool has plenty of clearance during the cutting operation. 

I have attached a project with reduced versions of the model and stock. Any help is greatly appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

@Infinite_Chatter unfortunately this is a known deficiency in profile roughing where we cap off grooves to the leading angle of the insert for safety reasons which makes it impossible to machine such "undercuts" (look at attached picture). However, the good news is, we're actively working on fixing this deficiency.

regards,

Akash Kamoolkar
Software Development Manager
Message 3 of 4

Thank you for your quick reply. Thats a shame it's not possible but I am hoping it gets sorted out. Thank you again for your help. 

Message 4 of 4

Hello

@akash.kamoolkar  wrote:

@Infinite_Chatter unfortunately this is a known deficiency in profile roughing where we cap off grooves to the leading angle of the insert for safety reasons which makes it impossible to machine such "undercuts" (look at attached picture). However, the good news is, we're actively working on fixing this deficiency.

Thank you very much for this valuable information, I just happened to fail at this task.

Christoph_360_0-1722591605529.png

It already seems to work perfectly with Profile Finishing.

Mfg

Christoph

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report