Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Japanese Tray - Cam Issues - I feel dumb

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
337 Views, 9 Replies

Japanese Tray - Cam Issues - I feel dumb

I hate myself right now and feel dumb. I spent the last 18 hours on what's a joke of a model to carve, but these chamfers are kicking my ass and I have multiple issues in this file.  Could one of you geniuses look at my CAM setup and make changes like the pros would do? 

I'm trying to make my mom-in-law this tray for Christmas and am failing miserable.  I'm cutting it from a solid block of cherry. 

Here are my issues. 

- Issue 1 - selection of the areas - The selection of the chamfers still is not correct. I cannot ever seem to select things right and have watched at least 10 videos on it now. 

- Issue 2 - After so many fails at different toolpaths...., are the toolpaths I chose even the right ones? 

If someone could just show me their version of this I will just study the settings that and save you the time documenting it.  Many thanks in advance. My hope is that I don't throw away all my work and hours into this. It feels horrible giving up on someting like this.

Thank you

Tags (1)
Labels (1)
  • CAM
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Having f3d file would help 😁

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous

New to forum huh?,....... export your file to desktop and attach it to your next post.

Go to .... File, Export, select destination, hit OK, start new post, look down below window where it says "Attachments", click on "browse", navigate to where you saved exported file, select it and post the response.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous

Here is the file. SOrry about that. 

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous

Sorry about that.  Doh!

Message 6 of 10
seth.madore

I think one question is; 

How close to the model are you trying to get?

On a 3axis machine, there's going to be some black magic involved in getting this internal corners to be as crisp as they are modeled. Since cutting tools leave a radius, most methods are going to leave something in the corner. I think we can go in there with a steep angle chamfer tool and trace to clean them out, but some sanding may be in order.

Your toolpath for the external isn't that bad, but I'd likely just use an actual chamfer cutter to machine them instead of a flat endmill..

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous

Chamfers can be done more efficiently using chamfer mill but was trying to stick with tools you may have on hand with addition of 1/2" bull nose and 1/16 ball nose. As Seth pointed out internal chamfer corners will have to show some fillets, hope you have some ideas here.

2020-12-04 11_32_46-Settings.png

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous

Well, removing fillet from pocket corners comes down to either using smaller tools or doing more detailing.

I used chamfer mill on outside chamfer and stepped down size of tool for profiling inside angles.

2020-12-04 13_40_50-Autodesk Fusion 360.png

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous

Vic - Thanks so much good sir!  This was very very helpful.

Message 10 of 10
Anonymous

Cool, now go do the hard part of the job.😊

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report