Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to make sure the exported .nc files are of a 2D format and not 3D format?

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
johanna_berg12
455 Views, 13 Replies

Is there a way to make sure the exported .nc files are of a 2D format and not 3D format?

WinPC-NC says I have made a 3D CAM file, however the file I made in Fusion 360 was done using only 2D toolpaths. Is there a way to guarantee that the files exported are 2D files instead of 3D?

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Can you share an example of this NC code here?

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 14

Here is the complete NC code. 

Message 4 of 14

What sort of a machine is this? It most certainly contains motion that uses 3 axis and your Z direction is an interesting one. Is Z positive in the up or down direction?

2024-04-23_06h02_42.png

Seth Madore
Message 5 of 14

The machine is a Stepcraft M700 CNC router. I have previously used Mastercam which worked, but want to change to using Fusion for my CNC projects. 

My Z axis sure looks intresting in the picture, it seems to be "upside down" so the green triangle/ yellow arrow should be pointing down. Could this be the cause of the problem? If so, how do I go about fixing it? 

Message 6 of 14

Do you have any digital readout of your machine coordinates, or is it just a minimal box with start/stop/jog buttons? If you do have a readout, what do they show when you jog the axis?

Can you share your Fusion file that produced this code? File > Export > Save to local folder, return to thread and attach the .f3d file in your reply.

Seth Madore
Message 7 of 14

Yes, I think I have readouts, the Z-axis positive is down and negative is up.

Unfourtnently I can't upload the file since it's confidential, but I took some screenshots of what I potentially think could be the cause of the problem since I don't really know if I need to choose my tool orientation or not and what to put there if I need to. 

The three objects on the top are just there to make the toolpath and not a part of the real object. 

Message 8 of 14

If your machine is just a 3 axis machine, don't ever rely on Model Orientation in your Setup to be correct. I'd suggest switching to "Select Z and X axis" to orient your model. Select a surface that is normal to your Z axis and then a line that runs along the X axis of the part.

You could also share the file with me privately, as we treat our customers data with the utmost discretion. Email to: seth DOT madore AT autodesk DOT com

Please link to this thread so I understand the context.

Could you share an NC program that you generated thru MasterCAM so I can compare the outputs between what Fusion is giving you and what has worked in the past?

WHICH WinPC-CNC post processor are you using, can you provide a screenshot?

Seth Madore
Message 9 of 14

Thanks for the reply.

I switched the setup to what you mentioned, but can't test the settings until tomorrow so I will give an update after that. 

I use Stepcraft WinPC-NC as post processor.

Message 10 of 14

Looking at the MasterCAM code that you emailed me, I would recommend just using the Fanuc post processor. One thing I noticed in your Fusion file; you have vertical lead-in/out radii specified, but not with the MCAM code. I would suggest this following:

• Use the Fanuc post
  • Set Lead-in/out radius to zero (in toolpaths, last tab)
  • When posting, select "G53" for your Retract setting.

I've attached the code generated with the Fanuc post. Let me know if your machine accepts it!

Seth Madore
Message 11 of 14

After trying the new setup it still gave me the same error message saying "Can't do 3D jobs". Do you/someone else have any other ideas of what could be the cause of the problem? 

I mailed you the files and would appreciate if you took a closer look at what the cause of the problem might be. 

Message 12 of 14

@johanna_berg12 wrote:

I mailed you the files and would appreciate if you took a closer look at what the cause of the problem might be. 

See my response above 🙂

Seth Madore
Message 13 of 14

My machine gave the same error message with the file you sent me.

I also changed the things you mentioned in my Fusion file, but it didn't work either with my machine. Did I understand you correctly to check out the boxes mentioning lead in/out or was it specifically one of the horisontal or vertical lead in radius that shoud be put to 0?

Message 14 of 14

@seth.madore 

Do you have any other suggestions on what could be causing the problem?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report