Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing revised stp file removes all CAM data

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
rjfielder
267 Views, 7 Replies

Importing revised stp file removes all CAM data

I 'm developing a new part & there are revisions after each machined part is made.

When I import the new stp file, I lose all the manufacturing data.

Is there a way to import an updated stp file and keep the manufacturing data even if I have to redefine some geometry?

Fingers crossed!

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
seth.madore
in reply to: rjfielder

What you seek should be attainable thru the AnyCAD and Desktop Connector workflow.

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 8
rjfielder
in reply to: seth.madore

Thanks Seth,

Is that in place today or is it a future plan?

Message 4 of 8
seth.madore

Oh, it's in place today!

General requirements for using the AnyCAD functionality in Fusion 360:
  • A Fusion Team Hub is required. If using personal hub migrate to a Fusion Team via the Onboarding site.
  • Download and install Desktop connector (Required if utilizing 3rd party software and Fusion 360 Teams concurrently)
  • Uploading the files via Fusion Teams OR adding to Desktop Connector (uploading via the Data Panel in Fusion 360 will automatically translate and convert files to Fusion 360 (.f3d, .f3z) formats)
Note: See the "Designs created in other CAD applications" ​​​​​​​section in the product documentation.
Fusion 360 AnyCAD functionality and Inventor IPT files:
  • Upload an Inventor design to Fusion 360:
  • From Inventor 2022 onward you can use “Transfer to Fusion 360” function.
  • Upload an IPT from Fusion Team
  • Save from Inventor into a project on Fusion Team via Desktop connector
  • Start Fusion 360 and double-click or right click and select “Open” on the uploaded Inventor *.IPT file inside the Data panel on the left of your Fusion 360 Window.
  • A new Fusion Design File is created and the AnyCAD establishes a connection to the .IPT file, which ensures that updates of the original geometry are covered in the Fusion 360 Design file. (A linked symbol should show in the lower left at the beginning of the timeline in the new Fusion 360 design, linking it back to the .IPT)
  • Save and name the Fusion Design and start planning your CAM Strategies for producing the component.
Fusion 360 AnyCAD functionality and other CAD programs(Solidworks etc.):
  • Upload the native Design file to Fusion 360:
  • Upload the file to the Fusion Team Hub
  • Save from the native application into a project on Fusion Team via Desktop connector
  • Start Fusion 360 and double-click or right click and select “Open” on the uploaded file (Solidworks or other CAD Apps design) inside the Data panel on the left of your Fusion 360 Window.
  • A new Fusion Design File is created and the AnyCAD establishes a connection to the native CAD file, which ensures that updates of the original geometry are covered in the Fusion 360 Design file. (A linked symbol should show in the lower left at the beginning of the timeline in the new Fusion 360 design, linking it back to the original upload file)
  • Save and name the Fusion Design and start planning your CAM Strategies for producing the component.
Editing the source files:
AnyCAD is specifically designed to allow Source files to be edited in their native program. Use the following procedure:
  1. Ensure Desktop connector is installed and the proper team is selected.
  2. Open the source file program i.e. Solidworks.
  3. Use File > Open and select the Fusion Team from File Explorer.
  4. Navigate to the Project/Folder.
  5. Open the desired file.
  6. Make necessary changes.
  7. Save the design.
  8. The design will automatically upload a new version to Fusion Teams
  • To refresh in Fusion 360. Open the Linked Fusion design in Fusion 360 and click ‘get latest’
 Note: The source file was generated by its authoring CAD apps, Fusion 360 is not able to modify the source file directly. Any changes to the source file will need to be in that program, for example, open the uploaded .sldprt file in Solidworks.

Seth Madore
Message 5 of 8
rjfielder
in reply to: seth.madore

I appreciate the availability to make that happen on my PC, but my customers are not interested in using it.
Thank you for the expertise!
Message 6 of 8
DarthBane55

It may not be ideal, but something I do in that case... well, 2 ways I solve it (works for me):

1-if the changes are minor, I recreate them myself on the model, so nothing is lost, I just need to update toolpaths for the changes.

2-if the changes are more complex or time consuming to recreate, I just add the new model to the CAM file, put it on top of the old one (which I do not delete), and hide the old one.  I then program only the changes using that new model, and everything that doesn't need to change is still intact (using the old model that is now hidden).

This may or may not be suitable for you, just thought I'd chip in with how I handle this situation.

Message 7 of 8
rjfielder
in reply to: DarthBane55

That's a great procedure in most cases, but some parts are just too intricate or complex.

Thanks for the ideas though!

Message 8 of 8
seth.madore

But this is something (as I understand it) that you orchestrate fully on your side. You get the model update from your customer, dump it into Connector, update your Fusion model from the AnyCAD option. I don't think it needs interaction from the customer supplying the models.

Seth Madore

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report