Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I keep cutting through my stock. (Alum. business card)

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
msadkins
344 Views, 7 Replies

I keep cutting through my stock. (Alum. business card)

Hello everyone, thanks for the add. I need some info. I am trying to engrave text on a .5mm thick piece of anodized aluminum. But when I tried it, the tool cut through it. I cant figure out how to adjust the cutting depth. I'm using Fusion Autodesk to create the text plate. The CNC is a desktop 3018 pro max. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Labels (1)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
jscott6SWZG
in reply to: msadkins

How are holding the stock, and how are you setting z 0

Message 3 of 8
msadkins
in reply to: jscott6SWZG

I have the stock setting on a piece of wood. I bring the spindle (cutting tip) to the center of the stock and drop it until it a paper thickness between the tip and the stock, then zero it.

I hope this helps. I tried to attach the gcode but I'm not sure it uploaded.

Message 4 of 8
jscott6SWZG

K so double sided tape to hold it down?  It is likely the aluminium/ wood is not true enough.   Set z in middle the move to a corner and bring the tool down til it locks the paper.  But dont zero z  Read the z value.  That will til you how far you are out of true.   
if it is close enough set z at some average.   If not

yiu need to build a z map,  or improve your wood holder, with a planer.

i use a piece of 1/4 aluminum has a base.

also tou can set z say .5 mm high run the cut, then drop z say  o .2 and rum it again.  This will show you the high and lows

Message 5 of 8
msadkins
in reply to: jscott6SWZG

Thank you for the advice. BTW, I'm using hold down clamps for the base and the stock. I will definitely use your advice. Is there anywhere else in fusion to set depth? I'm only asking because I am very new to this whole thing.

Message 6 of 8
jscott6SWZG

You can set the work piece origin to the too of the stock,   Or you could set it to the bottom of the stock.

i would rnsure that you have the work piece origin set to the top of the stock, and zero machine z to the top of the stock

Message 7 of 8
programming2C78B

The depth comes from your tools angle and tip diameter. Modify these things to where the max cut depth is less then .5mm.

Please click "Accept Solution" if what I wrote solved your issue!
Message 8 of 8
msadkins
in reply to: programming2C78B

Thank you everyone for the help. With all of that and more I have learned, I think I have a good handle on it now.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report