Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to deal with no path when the slot to be milled is the same width as the tool bit.

25 REPLIES 25
SOLVED
Message 1 of 26
Inspections_JCH
1118 Views, 25 Replies

How to deal with no path when the slot to be milled is the same width as the tool bit.

I am using an X-Carve to cut 2D profiles in 6mm plywood. I am using a 1/8" bit and would like to cut a 1/8" slot. In one of my previous designs I was able to do this when the machine thought I was doing the outside perimeter profile of the component.  But when I create a new design where all  I am cutting are straight lines the same width as the router bit it throws an error. Widening the slot fixes it. Using a 1/16" bit is not desirable.

The file is available if that is the only way to find the issue, but this really boils down to one question. "How to cut a slot the same width as the tool?"

Wide Slot.png

25 REPLIES 25
Message 21 of 26
Inspections_JCH
in reply to: Anonymous

@AnonymousAs I try to replicate your 2D Contour model and MFG setup, something about how I create the sketch or how I extrude the profile prevents me from selecting only the one line, as I am able to do in your model. Would you please look at my file to see what may be different about my modeling method or any strange difference with how my MFG setup is preventing me from selecting the right line? I can only select the entire chain. So I think the issue is in my design.Cannot select line..png

Message 22 of 26

Hold the alt key down when selecting the toolpath it is the single section modify key in the manufacturing workspaces. the other way to do a similar thing is here See this video for selecting toolpaths https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATs4rsI_TPc

Win10 pro | 16 GB ram | 4 GB graphics Quadro K2200 | Intel(R) 8Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz 3.50 GHz

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User
My Websight, Daniels Wheelchair Customisations.
Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 23 of 26

@daniel_lyall  Many thanks. That single key selection has very likely been the key issue all along.

Message 24 of 26
djlunty

@Anonymous 

I am a confused by your comment "In my sample file, I picked same model edge in Trace as in 2D contour, I set tool compensation to left which puts tool to middle of slot in Trace." 

When I change the sideways compensation to "right" the slot is cut in the same place, just from the other end of the slot.  It seems both Trace and 2D Contour "know" where the slot is by only selecting one side.  Or am I missing something?  Are youi setting Tool Compensation somewhere else that I have missed?

Doug

Message 25 of 26
Anonymous

So, if you pick side edge of slot in trace, tool is going to either cut on center or offset to side depending on what you select in compensation field.

If you select on center, tool will violate the model, if you select left or right, tool gets placed in the middle of slot but cuts from different end in each case.

Red arrow determines which side to cut in combination with tool offset.

Just for kicks, you can definitely make tool cut on wrong side by forcing direction of cut from same side as with left compensation by clicking on red arrow to switch side then selecting right side compensation, you can do the same by selecting opposite edge of slot.

Experiment with options to learn the behavior of options then select those that suit your intent.

2021-03-17 20_29_30-Autodesk Fusion 360.png

Message 26 of 26
djlunty

@Anonymous 

Yes makes sense now.  I missed the compensation center option in Trace.  I haver never really thought of right and left - always thought of climb and conventional.   Makes total sense - thank you

Doug

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report