Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help Needed To Machine This Slot In A 20mm Thick Piece Of Aluminium.

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
225 Views, 7 Replies

Help Needed To Machine This Slot In A 20mm Thick Piece Of Aluminium.

Hello Gents

I need some advice, as to which machining process to use, to machine this slot in a block of aluminium. I thought of using the "BORE" machining process, to machine the pockets for a shaft, which fits into the part? Now the slot, seems to be a bit of a challenge, because the SLOT machining process, normally machines in a straight or curved pattern. When I select the 3D ADAPTIVE process and select only the slot, it develops a tool path for the complete finished part.

Any advice would be appreciated as to what process(s) I should take? Like drill the 4 holes first, then machine the bore, then the slot and finally the outside profile.

I`ll try to attach the file.

Regards

Craig

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
seth.madore
in reply to: Anonymous

The main problem you're faced with is that this is an STL file. Natively, only the 3D toolpaths are going to play nicely. We can convert the STL to a BRep body, which would make it somewhat easier. However, considering the simplicity of this part, you'd really just be better off designing it from scratch. Do you have a print and dimensions to go off of? There really isn't more than 10-15 minutes of design time here.

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: seth.madore

Hello Seth

Thank you for your reply.

I bought this file package, so that I can build a 4th and 5th axis, for my router.

These are the following download formats, which were supplied:

parasolid

sldprt

step

stl

I downloaded all of the stl files and if I use the measurement tool, I can see what the dimensions are.

Regards

Craig

Message 4 of 8
seth.madore

Oh jeez, if STEP or SLDPRT is an option, grab those instead, all the work is done for you.

Seth Madore
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous

Hi Seth

I understand.

The person who I purchased the drawings from, said that the parts are easy to machine. I placed the order yesterday, for all of the 20 mm thick aluminium plates. So its just the machining to do.

I have not tried to open a sldprt or step file in Fusion 360. I`ll give it a try.

Thank you for your assistance.

Regards

Craig

Message 6 of 8
seth.madore

Hi Craig,

Oh yes, the parts should be quite easy to machine, depending on what you have for equipment and tooling at your disposal. Where the challenge comes in with the STL files is that none of the easy-to-use toolpaths in Fusion (all the 2D paths) recognize the geometry created in an STL model. STEP and SLDPRT is king in this area, as it's recognized as true circles and lines

Seth Madore
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous

Hi Seth

You know, when I selected the slot and used the adaptive clearing process, the process selected the whole part. Meaning the slot, 4 bolt holes and the shaft bores. I thought this was strange? But now I know why? It was a stl file, which was opened, meaning 3D machining. I thought Fusion 360 was going crazy here?

My router is quite robust in construction and has a 2.2 kW spindle on it. I use compressed air to cool the carbide coated 2-flute end mills and am achieving satisfactory results. Just wished that I has built this earlier, as compared to the GT2 belt driven machine.

Regards

Craig

Message 8 of 8
seth.madore

Nope, Fusion wasn't going crazy. You can constrain it to certain areas with sketches. But honestly, finishing this part is going to be so much easier with an actual solid model, which the stl is not.

Regarding machining aluminum with just air; be careful. Even just a little bit of drip lubrication or mist will greatly reduce the chance of aluminum welding itself to the tool. It's doable with just air, just presents a higher chance of tool failure.

Seth Madore

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report