Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generating 2D Contour from 2D mesh

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
BoehmeLVA4Z
228 Views, 3 Replies

Generating 2D Contour from 2D mesh

Hello,

We are thinking about adding CLO 3D Fashion to our design workflow. A design shall be created in CLO and then transferred to Fusion 360 to apply minor changes and create the G-code. Formats that work in both programs are .fbx, .dxf, and .obj. Importing .dxf does not work, both the normal way over upload and over DXF Importer Add-in. CLO exports in DXF-AAMA and DXF-ASTM. The other two formats .fbx and .obj result in mesh bodies (in our case 2D).

We would like to generate a 2D tool path for a cutting process that is supposed to go around the edges of the body. Unfortunately, the mesh cannot be selected in the 2D profile menu. Generating a sketch via Mesh Section Sketch does not work because it is a 2D mesh. The only workaround that kind of worked was converting the mesh into bodies and then using the projection in the sketch menu. In that way, we ended up with a very coarse sketch with no round edges. Does anybody have experience in working with both programs CLO and Fusion together or can give a tip regarding importing the attached DXF file? I always get a failed message but no error code or any other kind of information. I attached the fbx format as well, in case somebody has a suggestion regarding using meshes as the base for 2D contours. Thank you so much in advance.

Best regards,

Florian

Labels (1)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
engineguy
in reply to: BoehmeLVA4Z

@BoehmeLVA4Z 

This looks like one for the Developers, I can`t open the dxf in Fusion either but was able to open in another Cad-CAM software I have and re-save from there and then was able to open in Fusion, the Fusion f3d file I saved out of the Sketch is attached if it is of any help to you 🙂

Fusion Test DXF-MOD.jpg

Message 3 of 4
BoehmeLVA4Z
in reply to: engineguy

Hi @engineguy,

Thank you so much for your effort. It is good to know that other CAD programs can apparently open the DXF because we are also in contact with the CLO support, but then it looks like it is something in Fusion causing the trouble.

Maybe one of the developers knows a solution.

Best regards,

Florian 

Message 4 of 4
BoehmeLVA4Z
in reply to: BoehmeLVA4Z

Hey,

are there other people, preferably developers who have experience with that or any tips?

Best regards,

Florian

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report