Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fusion keeps changing the diameter of my Dovetail cutter.

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
TurtleRacing
361 Views, 7 Replies

Fusion keeps changing the diameter of my Dovetail cutter.

What would cause Fusion to change the diameter of my Dovetail cutter?

Even in the cloud it changes the diameter and it's all over the place. The diameter is 1.475 and after I enter it, close the table it will be fine but the next time I go to get the tool it's 1.55 or 1.59, 1.515. 

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
seth.madore
in reply to: TurtleRacing

That's unexpected behavior. Can you capture this in a ScreenCast?
Are you using the old or the new Tool Library?

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 8
TurtleRacing
in reply to: seth.madore

I am using the old manager and this started happening when I switched back to the old.

I even tried creating a new tool and it's doing the same thing.

I attached the screencast

Message 4 of 8
TurtleRacing

Hopefully this works

I have attached the screencast but I don't see it, not sure what's happening.

Message 5 of 8
TurtleRacing

Maybe this works?

Message 6 of 8
engineguy

@TurtleRacing 

Dovetail is tricky, the values you are using won`t produce a 1.5mm tool,  to get a tool that size without any Radii you would have to have a Flute length value of 0.866in, now if you add a corner rad of 0.02in you will need a Flute length value of 0.846in but you will then only have a tool diameter 1.471in.

When you put all the values in and get to the last box which is the angle when you highlight it the 30 degrees should be 30 degrees, not 30.00001 degrees, if it is the latter then Fusion is saying that it has calculated the angle from all the previous values so if you just try to change the diameter without changing any of the other values to match then it will revert to the size that it has the correct values for 🙂 🙂 🙂

What I do with Dovetails that I don`t have the specs for is to do a sketch that will get me all the values I need to correctly create the Dovetail Tool, image of an example sketch below and example file attached, if any of the above made any sense to the reader then as they say "my work here is done" 🙂 🙂 🙂

Dovetail calculation example.jpg

I think what folks are expecting is to be able to just change a tool diameter and Fusion will automatically change all the values to match, now that would be nice 🙂

It is prefectly logical I suppose and once I got the hang of doing it that way it is pretty easy to get it right without having the correct tool specs !!!!!!

Of course having gone through all of the above ramblings by far the easiest way is to just get the tool specification from the tool Manufacturer/Tool Supplier and input the data, that is a minutes worth of work 🙂 🙂 🙂

Apologies, forgot to mention, all done with the New Tool Library !

Stay Safe

Regards

Rob

Message 7 of 8
TurtleRacing
in reply to: engineguy

I had a feeling that was what was happening, but I kind of thought surely they didn't make it so you couldn't determine the OD and the rest just fall in line after that especially since there's no neck diameter clearance. what really threw me for a loop was before I switched over to the new tool manager This never happened, then they switched me to the new two manager and I switched back and this has been happening since. 

Message 8 of 8
seth.madore

The issue is a bug and it was discovered and logged (internally) some time ago. 

Here's what's happening in a nutshell: The way that dovetail was defined in the old TL (tool library) wasn't quite correct. Changes were made to the New TL to make it a correct definition. This has the unfortunate side effect of breaking the old TL method. Such that every time you open the library, it's adding the radius of the tip to the cutter diameter.

So, where does that leave you;

1) Move to the new tool library. It does take some getting used to, but it's also what's going to be the standard library moving forward.

2) Create and select the tool immediately. Don't create tool, close library and open it again. It's not pleasant, I recognize.

This issue is not likely to get a lot of work done to it, since the old TL will at some point be retired. There's a fair amount of code involved with it, and the resources spent on something that will be retired is not.....likely. Of course, if there are enough people that are bumping into this issue, that previous statement could be revised.

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report