Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Face operation doesn't honor stock boundaries - causes crash

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
mlitzkow
210 Views, 2 Replies

Face operation doesn't honor stock boundaries - causes crash

I want to face my workpiece with a large cutter that's 2 1/4" in diameter. I am using the default stock boundary, and have set my stock offset to 0.010". I have a stepover of 1.575". Fusion is keeping the center of the tool within the stock boundary as requested, but hangs a large part of the cutter diameter outside of the stock boundary.  This cuases a collision. Please look at my Fusion file under the setup called "Op2" and the operation called "Face bottom". 

Notice that the cutter only hangs over on one side of the stock. Unfortunately, it's just the wrong side of the stock where fixturing parts are in the way. I can't seem to get Fusion to honor my stock boundary, nor can I get it to do the overhang on the side away from my fixturing parts. How can I set up this Face operation to avoid the collision?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
a.laasW8M6T
in reply to: mlitzkow

Hi

Facing Doesn't have Boundary selections, it does have Stock Contours which tell it where the stock is you want to machine.

It will ALWAYS overlap those contours so it can fully clean up any material.

If you want a toolpath that can be contained within a boundary you can use the FLAT toolpath, or more simply you can use a 2D contour path.

I would use 2D contour here but have done both options in the attached file

You could also try using the Face toolpath but turning the pass direction 180

alaasW8M6T_0-1715216663669.png

Message 3 of 3
Shannon_IMD
in reply to: mlitzkow

I think a better way is to use 2D pocket. If you create some geometry to represent wherever you don't want the tool to go. Then select the model floor as the geometry to machine. It will create an open pocket operation. Now select both ways in the passes tab. This will create a facing operation that considers all the geometry. See photo.

Shannon @ IMD

Capture(1).PNG

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report