Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cannot select a face for a face toolpath on 4th axis

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
297 Views, 8 Replies

cannot select a face for a face toolpath on 4th axis

Hello everyone this is my first time in the forums, i have only just really started to use fusion 360 and im sure i am making basic mistakes, but i have this component (hopefully i attached the model correctly) which i need to rough out for heat treat. The turning is already done leaving flanges i.w.o the arms that i need to rough.

The only way i can hold the job to do this is in the 4th axis, i have downloaded the 4axis fanuc post from autodesk and set my machine to turning/mill turn as per a lars christenson video i watched. 

Now i want to post a face cycle to machine the flanges down to the flat faces of the arm but as soon as i select face operation i cannot select any faces which seems pretty odd to me. thanks in advance for any help.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
seth.madore
in reply to: Anonymous

Your file came through okay, but I'm not seeing any toolpath or Setups in the file, the MFG is empty. I'm not entirely sure where you are trying to machine 😞

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: seth.madore

oh that is my original file this one should have where i am at now. no toolpath's tho as i cant make any lol

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous

this should make it clearer hopefully, i have  tool path next to the face i would like to machine the top of.

Message 5 of 9
seth.madore

Just to be clear, are you working with a turned part that approximates this?
2020-04-22_11h40_50.png

Seth Madore
Message 6 of 9
seth.madore

At any rate, it's possible that you misinterpreted what Lars was showing. If using a 4th axis on a mill, we want to set our machine and WCS to reflect that:

2020-04-22_11h49_20.png

And then we use Tool Orientation to position the A axis in the correct configuration:

2020-04-22_11h51_45.png

Seth Madore
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous

aha thankyou thats made everything much clearer thanks very much, and yes that is exactly what my part looks like at the moment, is there a way i can load a model of it in as stock rather then a box or bar?

Message 8 of 9
seth.madore

In this case here, I just knocked out a few rough "Extrude" functions. I've attached the file, feel free to edit as needed. You can upload it to your project and then bring it into your file as a "Linked" component if you wish. You can also sever the link so it's part of the file.

Seth Madore
Message 9 of 9
Anonymous

thats brilliant thankyou seth.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report