Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CAM 3D Parallel Toolpath extremely slow to compile when avoiding surfaces

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Dippeggs
309 Views, 3 Replies

CAM 3D Parallel Toolpath extremely slow to compile when avoiding surfaces

I have had this problem for months now and I thought it would've been fixed but maybe I'm the only one to notice it. I use the Parallel 3d Toolpath a lot for my work, but for months now I noticed the compile/compute time increased dramatically whenever I choose surfaces to avoid. I make electric guitars so there's a lot of carved surfaces. 

Please look at my attached photos. I have a pretty standard thing i'm carving here (1/2 Ball end mill). Without selecting things to avoid, is takes less than 1 second to compile. However, If I select parts to avoid, It increase to 14 seconds. I used avoid a lot because it saves time rather than selecting the outlines of objects. 

Now the weird part is other 3D toolpaths are nowhere near as slow as the Parallel path. If I use the Scallop toolpath, with everything selected and parts avoided like the parallel, it computes in 1 second/less (in this example) It seems like a problem just for the Parallel path. Unfortunately, I use that 99% of the time for carving. I use a CNC Router and it doesn't like doing the complicated movements like in scallop paths.

This wasn't like this a few months ago. It worked just fine. Some update messed it up but I can't remember which one. I've tried this on 3 different computers and they all do it, just different speeds because of the different cpu's and such. I have much more complicated stuff that takes minutes to compile sometimes, but turning off avoid brings it to seconds.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
seth.madore
in reply to: Dippeggs

Would you be able to share your Fusion file here?
File > Export > Save to local folder, return to thread and attach the .f3d/.f3z file in your reply.

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 4
Dippeggs

Here's a file with the model, a setup, and 2 paths both labeled. 1 no avoid and 1 with avoid. Please tell me if you experience the same problem. Or if I exported it wrong.

Message 4 of 4
seth.madore

What are your computer specs? I would expect a bit longer of a time, since it needs to run more calculations to avoid those surfaces. On my PC, it took .6 seconds for the first toolpath and 5 seconds for the second:

2024-03-10_20h52_31.png

Which, to be honest, doesn't seem unreasonable.

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report