Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Tool Path For Slotting

1 REPLY 1
SOLVED
Message 1 of 2
richardsalzman
147 Views, 1 Reply

Best Tool Path For Slotting

I am working on a project where I need to cut a slot to get rid of excess stock that is .625" thick (see below).  I used a 3/8" endmill and used the contour tool path to cut the slot.  The speeds/feeds calculator suggested making two passes with a stepdown of about .33" each.  This worked out fine.  I have several more pieces to make. 

I read a post suggesting that a 1/4" endmill with a 2D adaptive routine cutting the same 3/8" wide slot at the full .625 depth was a far more efficient approach.  Do you agree?

Richard

richardsalzman_0-1721105273147.png

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2

"Depends" is the more general answer

Slotting with 2D contour is much more efficient in this case, 2D adaptive with a smaller tool will take forever on a machine with low acceleration/jerk values

What material the parts are made of is somewhat important.

The harder the material the less efficient slotting is and adaptive can potentially be faster.

The machining time values in Fusion don't take into account the Machine Dynamics so while an adaptive toolpath might appear to be quicker in Fusion, for a small slot(relative to the tool diameter) like that often it will run slower on the machine as the machine will never actually achieve the programmed feedrate.

If you want to know for sure, Run two parts with both methods and compare the actual cycle times.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report