Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Achieving a constant scallop on open contour fillets with connected surface.

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Max_Marz
377 Views, 3 Replies

Achieving a constant scallop on open contour fillets with connected surface.

First of all, major shout out to @Rob.Lockwood for his video on 3d surfacing

toolpaths: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vS8w19_v5A

I've got two fillets of different sizes and a flat surface in-between that I want to finish with a bull nose tool.

I'm trying to apply any of these techniques to a part here I'm working with which seems quite simple but I'm struggling to achieve similar results with constant scallops now that the defined stepover distance in flow seems to no longer exist in the beta?
Also, the fact that with other strategies my containment has to be an open contour prevents some other possible answers?
With morph I cant get the toolpath to fully wrap down to the bottom of the last fillet where contact boundary should take it and that seems to be an issue with flow as well which has no contact point boundary option.

Is there some way to get this to work? I thought it was going to be easy to get a nice even stepover down these fillets, I'm aware of the nuance between control point and contact point making the toolpath LOOK uneven but you can see in the simulation that this isn't the issue here, at least with flow. 

flow.JPGfillet.JPG

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
HughesTooling
in reply to: Max_Marz

Did you try Blend in Beta Mode?

Old.png

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 4
Max_Marz
in reply to: HughesTooling

Thanks Mark, no I hadn't and I realize this should have been fairly obvious. Thank you. 
I'd really like to learn from this though so I pose to you a hypothetical situation where we did not have blend, is there another solution to similar results?

Edit: How would you contain blend to keep the tool from touching the top surface? Also, what if I wanted the tool to work from the bottom up instead of top down?

Message 4 of 4
HughesTooling
in reply to: Max_Marz

You can control where blend starts by the order the curves are selected. For the top face you can add a body in the model section of the op. See attached file.

Clipboard05.png

I also added a 3d contour op, it's not perfect but not too bad and you get smoothing(arc fitting) with contour. I add a helper surface for the contour op so you can get a tangential run on\off.

Capture4.PNG

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report