Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2D selection selection outsite

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
gabrielvuelmar
452 Views, 12 Replies

2D selection selection outsite

Dear all.

I'm having a problem that this design select the outside edges for texts.

Can somebody help me ?

I know that you can change the direction with the arrow, btw Fusion 360 is extremy slow with text profiles, already changed to older artcam (what take 20 min to select in fusion takes 1 min in artcam) in another design. 

I just can't understand why it has to select the outside, not the inside.

Thanks.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Which toolpath is giving you the inside/outside issue? Looking at each toolpath and the simulation, I'm not seeing the problem child...

2019-07-10_13h44_27.png

Yes, sketch selection off of imported DXF or SVG is insanely slow. You will often find things go quite smooth when you extrude them into solid models and turn off the sketch.

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 13

Yes, it's correct because one by one clicked the arrow to invert the selection, try to start another setup and select again.

Message 4 of 13

Also, try select all this text. Can be in 2-3 operations to make easier to select.

You must have a extreme beefy computer.
Mine with 4-5 selects start to get slow and goes till the point that take almost 2 minutes each selection

Message 5 of 13

Imported dxf and svg images are an extreme sore point for Fusion. The amount of spline points and edges they produce at translation can bring even the most beefy computer down to a crawl.

The best way to get past that is to extrude into a solid model and program off of that. It's still going to be slow, but not as bad as the sketch driven CAM.

That way, your selections will always be correct, no fiddling with inner/outer:

2019-07-12_08h30_23.png

Seth Madore
Message 6 of 13

sure, ok, by the way did you check the last model that I upload? designed
in fusion and extruded, after select 10~15 letters it start to get real slow
Message 7 of 13

Yes, and as I stated earlier, it's still going to be slow, down to the fact that Fusion does a crap job at handling files with nothing but splines in it. If you want snappy performance, create the features entirely inside of Fusion, from the ground up.

Seth Madore
Message 8 of 13
Marco.Takx
in reply to: gabrielvuelmar

Hi @gabrielvuelmar,

Why don't you choose a 3D Pocket?

I don't see a slow performance in my example.

If my post answers your question Please use  Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution & Give Kudos!Kudos This helps everyone find answers more quickly!

Met vriendelijke groet | Kind regards | Mit freundlichem Gruß

Marco Takx
CAM Programmer & CAM Consultant

Message 9 of 13

I think nether me or you understand correct. in the first uploaded file it
was imported, so it's slow because the translation.
by the way in the last file I did interely in fusion 360, extruded the base
plate, did the text in fusion, cut the text and then went to select... So,
understanding that fusion 360 is extremely slow with high splines drawings,
it's better to use artcam in this cases? I feel sad about this, cause I
love fusion, the way it works is simply perfect while defining zero points
and interface for cam. but if there's any option to make it fast in this
situation, I have to learn and use artcam 😞
Message 10 of 13
gabrielvuelmar
in reply to: Marco.Takx

That is a good one.
Really help, didn't think about the 3d cause i was using 2d drawing.

So, is there a fast way to select just the text, excluding lino and the pockets ?

Message 11 of 13
Marco.Takx

Hi @gabrielvuelmar,

Use surface patches and place them on top of those geometry or a other way duplicate the model and Delete the Lino and pockets. 

When created the patches you can join them as model into the operation so the Mill doesn’t go into that. 

I think creating a sketch box around only what you want to Mill and use that as boundary that this will also work. 

Can’t test it because I’m not behind my laptop. 

If my post answers your question Please use  Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution & Give Kudos!Kudos This helps everyone find answers more quickly!

Marco Takx

Message 12 of 13
gabrielvuelmar
in reply to: Marco.Takx

I'm ending the topic here, as we have a "partial solution", I call... in cases like this I still prefer the engrave from artcam (cause it's faster) and this is were I will do things like this. Still considering that I don't have much experience on it. Another thing is that I will need to edit the post processor to act like a fusion 360 post, cause the fusion post is simple another level to artcam.

For all the rest, I still believe fusion is a better option.

Very thanks for both of you that helped me!

Really appreciate the help and sorry for my english 🙂

Message 13 of 13
Marco.Takx

Hi @gabrielvuelmar,

I never worked with ArtCAM but know that it was a great CAM solution for engraving. 

Also agree that Fusion 360 need some more love but hopefully the Extensions will be the solution. Autodesk will give access to advanced manufacturing solutions. So hopefully they will implement the best DelCAM features of ArtCAM, FeatureCAM & Powermill. 

Cheers.

Marco Takx

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report