Fusion Educators (Read-Only)
Are you an educator who uses Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) in their courses in secondary and post-secondary? This is the official Autodesk forum for educators like yourself to share the success you are having with Fusion in the classroom.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Project sharing

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
andersonto
361 Views, 5 Replies

Project sharing

I would like to have my students share their projects with me for grading purposes.  After reading the product documentation on sharing, I feel like I'm seeing something different than what was described.

This is what I see in the data panel when I choose "People":

andersonto_0-1661020456595.png

It wants to kick me out to the web to view and manage the members of the project.  I guess that's fine, but the documentation says you can send the invite right in the data panel under "People".  

Am I doing something wrong?  What's the best method of having students share their projects with me.

Thanks in advance for your help.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
dan.banach
in reply to: andersonto

Hi @andersonto 

Sorry for the confusion. The product documentation shows the current commercial experience. Earlier this year we implemented Folder-Level Projects for Education accounts. Here is a sneak peak to a video I just created about Folder-Level Projects that demonstrates how to setup a Folder-Level Project with roles in a classroom.

This video should get posted next week, then I’ll pin a post with these details. Please let me know if the video is helpful.

-Dan

Dan Banach
Sr. Technical Manager & Community Manager

If my post resolves your issue, please click the Accept Solution button.
Message 3 of 6
eng491
in reply to: dan.banach

I had the same question.  Your video has a workflow where the instructor invites the student to their project.  I have been working the other way, where students create the project then invite me.   I've found the only way I can access their projects in the desktop application is if they make me project admin.  Is this correct?  Otherwise I get a message my access is denied. 

It seems random, too that the "old"  method of inviting members to a project in the desktop app still works,  this method is flawless and I can get access to their projects  folders, etc with no problem.  Other students must go to the web browser Teams site to make the invite, then the admin role seems to be required for me to see the projects. 

Any insights?

Message 4 of 6
dan.banach
in reply to: eng491

Hi @eng491 

Great question. With an Autodesk Education account, if a Fusion 360 project was created prior to January '22 it would have been a legacy Closed project. With this project type, anyone invited into this project can do whatever they want. If a legacy project is active, you can still invite others directly from the Data Panel. You can still create this project type, it just needs to be created from Fusion Team.

To access a project, you do NOT need to be an Administrator. I'd like to learn more about the project type that the students created and how they invited you. With a Folder-Level Project, the students would go through the same process as I showed in the video, but invite you.

Here is a link to an article that I wrote that goes into more details than I did in the video: Working with Fusion Team and Folder-Level Projects.

Let me know if this helps.

-Dan

Dan Banach

Message 5 of 6
eng491
in reply to: dan.banach

Here are images  showing what's going on.  

1. The student's screen.  It shows he's invited me and my role is a team member. 

Screenshot Nicks screenV2.jpg

Here is my screen on the desktop for Niko.  I get the message "Failed to fetch folder contents". 

Screenshot Fusion Desktop.jpg

And my screen on the web browser for Niko's team.  I get the message "you don't have required permission to perform this operation" and "error loading  data". 

Screenshot_Fusion web browser.jpg

My solution to this  has  been to have  the student change my role  to administrator, then I can access their files both on the  desktop  and web browser version. 

Thoughts? 

Message 6 of 6
dan.banach
in reply to: andersonto

Hi @eng491 

Thanks for adding the images. It looks like the student added you to their Fusion Team as a Team Member, which is correct. The missing piece is that the student needs to invite you to a their project. Please ask your student to do the following.

1. Log into Fusion Team by going to https://login.autodesk360.com.
  2. On the left pane, make a project active.
  3. In the top-center pane, ensure that the correct project is active.
  4. Click on the Folder Permissions tab.
    danbanach_0-1661879656516.png
  5. Since you were already added you to their Fusion Team, search for your name  in the middle-pane and select your name.
  6. At the bottom the screen, apply a role. Editor or Manager may be appropriate.

Hope this helps.

-Dan

Dan Banach

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

You've got Fusion.

Autodesk Design & Make Report