Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Working on some new wood appearances for use in Fusion 360

58 REPLIES 58
Message 1 of 59
PhilProcarioJr
5362 Views, 58 Replies

Working on some new wood appearances for use in Fusion 360

I'm going to post some images of some new materials that I would like some feedback on.

MapleWoodTest.png

MapleWoodTeakTest.png

MapleWoodFruitwoodTest.png

MapleWoodBrandywineTest.png

MapleWoodAntiqueCherryTest.png

MapleWoodAutumHazeTest.png

Phil Procario Jr.
Owner, Laser & CNC Creations

58 REPLIES 58
Message 41 of 59

@light24bulbs

I am still working on the texture packs, sadly client work has put them on hold for the time being. Which textures in this thread do you like?

Phil Procario Jr.

Message 42 of 59

I think they are all miles ahead of what is available in fusion.  Something tells me if you got in contact with fusion they would integrate these into stock setup, or might even pay to license them from you or something.  

I am a big fan of the plain light wood, and also of the more red cherry.  

I understand if you don't think they are ready to release into the wild yet. Labors of love are rarely completed.  

Message 43 of 59

@light24bulbs

"I think they are all miles ahead of what is available in fusion.  Something tells me if you got in contact with fusion they would integrate these into stock setup, or might even pay to license them from you or something.  "

They know about them and I have talked to them but there have been no offers yet. Smiley Wink

It's not really that they are not done it's more like I wanted 20 high resolution textures for a type in a pack. PM me and we can see if we can work something out.

Phil Procario Jr.

Message 44 of 59
Fonzis
in reply to: PhilProcarioJr

very good, i imagine the plywood is referred to the same as for riflestocks, yea this would be very sexy if it works with layered colors

i have upload a zip with different marbles, give it a try perhaps res is good enough and you can use something http://www.file-upload.net/download-11789485/marble.zip.html

Message 45 of 59

@PhilProcarioJr you don't wont them to look to perfect, if it's new stock yer that does almost need to be perfect, if it reclaimed wood it's imperfect so if you could get in the middle that would be good.

what fusion has now blows.

plywood will be hard.

anyway it looks good what you have so far  

Win10 pro | 16 GB ram | 4 GB graphics Quadro K2200 | Intel(R) 8Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz 3.50 GHz

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User
My Websight, Daniels Wheelchair Customisations.
Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 46 of 59
Anonymous
in reply to: PhilProcarioJr

Hi,

I've just come across this thread about wood appearances, if you had a plywood one that would be mega!  Or any of these are much better that the default 360 ones.  Is there a way I can use these?

Thanks

Ellie

Message 47 of 59
PhilProcarioJr
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous

They are not currently very easy to use. I never made a plywood one but if I get some time this week I might put one together.

Phil Procario Jr.

Message 48 of 59

@PhilProcarioJr

Really good job, beautiful textures. As @Anonymous mentioned, the Plywood is not easy to find. I have tried to create some myself, but I didn't get the results that I was looking for.

If you have a Plywood texture to share, I would really appreciate it. 

Cheers / Ben.

Ben Korez
Owner, TESREG.com & Fusion 360 NewbiesPlus
TESREG - Fusion 360 Hardware Benchmark
Facebook | YouTube

Message 49 of 59
cekuhnen
in reply to: Beyondforce

@Beyondforce

Thing is veneer der images are hard to find so truth is best you make your own wood texture based on the veneer cut you want.I mainly use rift cut.

this way you can get pretty close results based on how much time you will invest.

https://youtu.be/FBEx1eMXxms

https://youtu.be/ZVRI70Dc4K4

Claas Kuhnen

Faculty Industrial Design – Wayne State Universit

Chair Interior Design – Wayne State University

Owner studioKuhnen – product : interface : design

Message 50 of 59
Beyondforce
in reply to: cekuhnen

Hi @cekuhnen,

Thanks for the feedback and the links. They were very helpful and gave me some new ideas.

Cheers / Ben.

Ben Korez
Facebook | YouTube

Message 51 of 59
cekuhnen

Yeah veneer you have to render flat

And I use a 3D wood system

You can do the same with an orthographic view of a wood plank in fusion as with the 3D wood.

Claas

Sent from my iPhone

Claas Kuhnen

Faculty Industrial Design – Wayne State Universit

Chair Interior Design – Wayne State University

Owner studioKuhnen – product : interface : design

Message 52 of 59
Beyondforce
in reply to: cekuhnen

This is the Plywood texture that I need, but I can't find the same quality.

Infotainment_2015_04.png

Ben Korez
Facebook | YouTube

Message 53 of 59
daniel_lyall

Have a pock around the American forestry service's web site If you need to know or see something on wood it's one of the best places to look.

That ply looks like feather ply

Win10 pro | 16 GB ram | 4 GB graphics Quadro K2200 | Intel(R) 8Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz 3.50 GHz

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User
My Websight, Daniels Wheelchair Customisations.
Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 54 of 59

Quick (5min) test with plywood:

MyPlywood01.pngMyPlywood02.png

and a trick for bent one:

MyPlywood03.png

Not even close to Phil materials, but I never find time to master them.

Michał Lach
Designer
co-author
projektowanieproduktow.wordpress.com

Message 55 of 59
Beyondforce
in reply to: michallach81

OK @michallach81, That looks really nice. Do you mind sharing the technique? And where did you get the texture it self from?

Ben.

Ben Korez
Facebook | YouTube

Message 56 of 59

Yes, I agree with Ben. This is nice plywood! I've been looking for this as well.

EESignature

Message 57 of 59
michallach81

Sure thing Ben. Below post you'll find screencast. 

It may not be obvious at the beginning but when we leave default texture map controls, the texture will follow surface UVs. In this example, it's pretty easy because thicken command creates edges as we need. Note that for planar surfaces no matter which tool we use UV are "flat". We can trick that by creating overlapping, flat but bent tspline. That should be used to replace the face.

Michał Lach
Designer
co-author
projektowanieproduktow.wordpress.com

Message 58 of 59
Beyondforce

@michallach81

Thanks for the Tip! I guess now, the only thing that missing is a good quality (High Resolution) plywood texture picture, like the one in my previous post.

Ben.

Ben Korez
Facebook | YouTube

Message 59 of 59
oliver

Hi, thank you so much for the walk through, this is so much better than the way I was solving it. 

I notice in one of your images that you have a chamfer 45 degrees. When I use box chamfers don't work so well...

How did you solve this? (I have used texture mapping and played with the handles but can't get the same outcome you have.

Any help would be great!

Screenshot 2019-06-03 at 13.01.32.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report