Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Workflow Sketch/Design ---> CAM + Assembly

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
tommVS2MB
363 Views, 7 Replies

Workflow Sketch/Design ---> CAM + Assembly

I am studying Fusion 360 CAM and I have a project to help me learn that. I have challenged myself to design a box with 4 sides, bottom mitered and removable top; The corners will be mitered; Real simple.  I have learned enough F30 to be able to make each part.  But, CAM will be new.

After modelling I will have the parts. I will need to lay them on a plane for CAM. That way with a series of operations and without moving the stock I can cut them; and just change tools.

1) Should I start with sketching my sides, top and bottom on the plane arranged for CAM?

2) I don't know what part of F360 I can use to maintain the CAM arrangement of the bodies and create an assembled representation of them. Is there a way to reference the bodies in my design and arrange them as an assembled object?

Please, point me in the right direction and I will follow-through with studying more of the tutorials.

Ultimately I plan to design some wooden objects and then cut them on a CAM router.

Thank you, Tom Meyers

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

I'm not done CAM things so fare and I'm not sure if I understood your question, but perhaps this might be something you're interested in: 

Message 3 of 8

Yes, that helps a lot and fits in well with the workflow that I think will be efficient.

workflow:

1) for each part:

1.1 Create component  (could be top, side ...); sketch to body to component; 

2) Create a component ( the 3d model ) and copy bodies to component (eg. front x1, back x1, side twice (L+R) 

3) Mark all Joints I will be using

4) Join to make a model of the assembly

5) Create another component (the CAM model)

5.1 arrange all pieces for CAM operations

6) ... CAM ...

All works well except  I had 2 problems.

1) Chamfer: I made a 45 degree 100% chamfer on a 4mm thich piece and made it 45deg + sqrt(32) long and it went well; later I made another on 4mm material and it required 45 deg and 4mm. Is my memory faulty? What is the length on a chamfer?

2) Move Component:  I tried to position my components on the xy plane and a point on the corner of one component showed it being .017 above the plane so I moved the component -.017 but it would not go to zero above the plane (I tried other tricks but it outsmarted me every time). My memory is not faulty and I think it has to do with decimal points of accuracy (I suspect a bug). I was arranging parts on a plane for CNC. 

Is my workflow optimal?

Thanks, Tom Meyers

Message 4 of 8
etfrench
in reply to: tommVS2MB

Put step 2 before step 1, then you don't have to copy each part into the assembly component.

I'd create each unique piece in place.  A simple box may not need joints.

After creating each piece, Copy|Paste (not Copy|Paste New) to the CAM component.

Use either the Align tool or a joint to ensure each part is on the same plane.

I can definitely say that a chamfer in 4mm thick material will not have a length of 4mm (depending on your definition of lengthSmiley Happy ).  Pythagorean theorem is your friend.

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 5 of 8

I would guess that creating joints will conflict with the nesting script. AFAIK it creates joins to join the parts to the bed / panel. 

Message 6 of 8
tommVS2MB
in reply to: etfrench

I was still confused by chamfer measurements because my intuition conflicted with the facts.

The fact is that a chamfer is measured by angle and depth.  The length of the hypotenuse could have been used to specify a chamfer but it is not.  In my design I have a chamfer at 45 degrees for the thickness  of the material 8mm so 45 degrees and 8mm

Tom Meyers

Message 7 of 8

But the arrow doesn't point to the hypotenuse. Important indication.

Chamfer.png

Message 8 of 8
etfrench
in reply to: tommVS2MB

Fusion 360 uses the term 'distance' not 'depth' or 'length'.  Distance in Fusion 360 speak refers to the length of a leg, not the hypotenuse.   It would be much less confusing if Fusion 360 used common terms.

Sorry if I mislead you earlier. Smiley Sad

ETFrench

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report