Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why dont my lines match in length..? Am I going mad?

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
nickJR7A7
296 Views, 7 Replies

Why dont my lines match in length..? Am I going mad?

Hi All,

Geting frustrated... Im trying to design a bag in fusion (Iknow its not tech what its for but its best Ive got)...

Ive done a front panel shape, extruded, and used an offset and pattern along a path to mark a line of holes for the stitches... These are 277 in total, 4.0091mm apart. This then follows the path from one side to the other.

I then thought it a simple process to make a gusset. Using the measure tool, I added the length of the relevant sections of the face up to give me the total gusset lenth. 

I then started a new project and used this length for the gusset.

Then I used the offset again, and added the 277 holes with the same distance. However this time, the holes did not reach the end of the path...

This means the holes wont align when sewn together...

Ive double checked the measurements, and the calculations. I even go the wife to look over my shoulder and she agreed too (shes an accountant)...

So where am I going wrong?

Does the measure tool not measure fillets logically? Am I doing something so stupidly wrong?

Any help greatfully received...

Thanks in advance

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
laughingcreek
in reply to: nickJR7A7

hmm.  hard to check your lengths or your calculations without a model, or at least more info.  from the information you've given your path would need to be 1,106.5116mm.  is that the length of your path? 

go to the file menu and EXPORT you model  as a .f3d, then post.

Message 3 of 8
nickJR7A7
in reply to: laughingcreek

Thank you... Attached as requested

Message 4 of 8
laughingcreek

offset an arc and offsetting straight lines aren't going to give you the same total length. 

You could go through some hijinks with calculating arc lengths etc etc, but I would probably take a different approach, and let fusion do the work. see attached

laughingcreek_0-1587491948968.pnglaughingcreek_1-1587491962203.png

Message 5 of 8
nickJR7A7

Genius! Then I guess I can add the extra 4mm each end to line up with the top of each piece for a total length...

Many thanks, really appreciate it....

Message 6 of 8
nickJR7A7

Ok, Ive tried and I still keep gettng the same result... What am I doing wrong? I cant seem to find this Measure Sketch Curves Option in inspect... 

I know Im a noob but am I being really dense?

Message 7 of 8
laughingcreek

oops, sorry, the measure sketch tool was an add in called mst sketch tools.  its free, you get it from the fusion store. but you can click on each tool and get the length of individual segments and add them up by hand also.

laughingcreek_1-1587502393656.png

laughingcreek_0-1587502303368.png

Message 8 of 8
nickJR7A7

AH ok... Thanks Ill look that up..

Now thats where im getting confused. Cos I added it all up last time by clicking on each segment of the line, which is how I ended up here in the first place lol...

I must be doing something so simple and so wrong to get myself this confused lol

Cheers

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report