Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

webbing to the join of three tapered cylinders

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
richard_john3
188 Views, 3 Replies

webbing to the join of three tapered cylinders

I have a simple tripod that is constructed from three tapered cylinders as shown in the first image. After printing I have found that the join between the legs is fragile. I want to add webbing to increase the strength. I am not sure how to do this. I have tried sketching on webbing, with the idea of extruding it, but it doesn't join to the mesh. I would appreciate some pointers as to how achieve my outcome. 

I am very grateful to those talented folk who can change my model to add the webbing. In this case I really want to know how to do it myself rather than having someone do it for me. I hope you understand!

mast1.png         mast2.png

Tags (3)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
wersy
in reply to: richard_john3

Maybe like this?

wersy_0-1707385377703.png

And you can fillet it

wersy_0-1707386166049.png

Is it really that small?

In this size you will always have difficulties with printing in FDM.

Message 3 of 4
richard_john3
in reply to: wersy

Thanks - yes, it is that small - it is a model boat. The printing is surprising good, just needs a touch of strengthening. 

What are the steps you took to add those filets? I would normally call them filets, but Fusion uses that term to the processing of adding material to the inside of a shape and removing from the outside of the shape to create a smooth edge. 

Message 4 of 4
wersy
in reply to: richard_john3

What I have made are so-called gusset plates.
The plate between the two diagonal supports would be a triangular plate. I have made a cut-out so that it can be printed without support.
To draw the plates, a plane must be created through the axles.

plate 1.jpg

plate 2.jpg

If you don't necessarily want it to be based on a specific model, you could perhaps make it a little more elegant.
Instead of plates, I would then create larger transitions.
But this is only possible in surface mode.

mast mod.jpg

mast detail.jpg

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report