Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Updating derive feature removes components

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
cgbongo
252 Views, 6 Replies

Updating derive feature removes components

I've been using Fusion for almost 2 years to design products for my current company. Most of the products use a frame system made out of steel RHS sections, and to efficiently manufacture the parts we use a CNC (plasma) barcutter. Since theres a lot of extra clutter in the main designs, I've been using the Insert Derive feature in a new blank design to insert the created barwork under their parent components so that the parent components can be exported as .step files and read by the CNC (plasma) barcutter. In this derived design, I usually add fillets to the inside and outside corners of the RHS sections, which supposedly speeds up load times on the plasma CNC computer, however for large designs this can take a lot of time and is something I would rather avoid re-doing over and over. 

I've run into some issues with this workflow, the main problem being that sometimes after updating the derive feature, when I edit the feature to deselect or exclude unnecessary components that can't be read by the barcutter (think sheet metal components etc.), upon calculating the operations it removes all of my components. The timeline is kept intact though, so if I've filleted components after deriving, despite not having any components listed in the Component Browser or visible in the window, all features are displayed in the Timeline as correct. In the past I've simply created another Insert Derive feature to re-import the parts and keep them up to date, but I'd rather not keep doing this as I'd have to re-fillet every corner of every bar, which quickly eats up a lot of my time. Does anyone know why this might be occuring, or any potential fixes? Unfortunately I can't share files or screenshots since the designs are propriety data. 

It seemed like this post was the closest thing to my issue, but I havent created any designs via Save As/Save Copy As etc. and I couldn't find any similar posts about the Insert Derive Feature.

Thanks, Connor

Tags (1)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Hi @cgbongo 

How often do you experience this issue?  Does it happen with one dataset only or is it pretty prevalent?  It will be hard for us to diagnose the problem without the dataset.  If you are comfortable, you could email the data directly to me KATTETG@AUTODESK.COM.  We at Autodesk understand and value data privacy of our customers, so I can assure you the data will only be used to diagnose the problem and fix issues in the code that is leading to the problems.

Alternatively, could you manually rollback the timeline marker to the beginning of the timeline and roll it forward again and see if it makes a difference?

Regards

Gautham

Gautham Kattethota
Software Development
Message 3 of 7

Hi @gautham_kattethota, thanks for the speedy reply.

Rolling the timeline back to the beginning and then to the end again fixed the issue, thank you. Is this just a visual bug? I've had bugs where sometimes components visible in the Browser are not visible in the Viewing Window, but this is fixed by hiding and showing the parent component. The specific case of no components appearing in either the Browser or the Viewing Window (in my experience at least) only occurs in these derived files, which is strange. On top of this, the Compute All function does not rectify this issue, so why does the timeline rolling back and forth fix it?

Just wondering what causes it for derived components is all.

Thanks for your help,

Connor

Message 4 of 7
HughesTooling
in reply to: cgbongo

@cgbongo wrote:

Hi @gautham_kattethota, thanks for the speedy reply.

I've had bugs where sometimes components visible in the Browser are not visible in the Viewing Window, but this is fixed by hiding and showing the parent component.

I've noticed this lately. Here component Z60 is supposed to be visible but it's not.

HughesTooling_0-1716041218269.png

HughesTooling_1-1716041425905.png

Toggling visibility makes it show. This is part of a derived subassembly. EDIT Just noticed This is not a derived subassembly, it's just a normal design.

HughesTooling_2-1716041457735.png

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 7

@gautham_kattethota Another long time bug is if you edit a base feature from a part inserted from "Insert a Manufacturer part" the body will disappear. It does highlight when you mouse over.

Also note the wrong icon on the menu when editing a base feature.

HughesTooling_0-1716041995745.png

HughesTooling_1-1716042294990.png

I was going to share the design but found export then reopen fixed the problem. You'll need to create your own design using "Insert a Manufacturer part". I have seen this in other imported designs where I've enabled history where the initial body is in the base feature.

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 7

@cgbongo 

Timeline rolling does a bit more for Derive features compared to Compute All, hence the difference.  

That being said, we would like to fix both issues with Derive feature where it disappears - from the browser and scene,  and secondly only from the scene.  If you come across reproducible steps on the former, we would like to know.  

@HughesTooling has a good example on the latter.

Regards

Gautham

Gautham Kattethota
Software Development
Message 7 of 7

@HughesTooling Hi. I can reproduce your issue with editing a Inserted Manufacturer Part.  I dont see the same problem with McMaster components however.  I will log a defect and we will try to address this soon.

Thanks

Gautham

Gautham Kattethota
Software Development

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report