Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to chamfer portion of a parametric design.

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
GillesJrBisson
476 Views, 14 Replies

Unable to chamfer portion of a parametric design.

I have this design that is fully parametrized. And for some reason that I absolutely cannot figure out, some edges of the second inner wall simply cannot be chamfer. 

GillesJrBisson_1-1716457383246.png

The second inner wall has the same characteristics as the first and uses the same parameters, the only difference being that it is referenced from the right outer wall instead of from the left one.

I have tried to enter values manually (instead of using my Chamfer parameter which is 0.5mm and which does not work for that inner wall but does for the others). I can enter 0.49998 and it will work but 0.49999 and 0.5 simply won't work either. And I also measured the various edges with max precision and they all are as expected.

I have included my model in case someone wants to look at it and perhaps find the issue.

Tags (2)
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
g-andresen
in reply to: GillesJrBisson

Hi,

try this workaround

günther

Message 3 of 15

This should work. @Phil.E 

EESignature

Message 4 of 15
Phil.E
in reply to: TrippyLighting

Confirmed, there's something here for sure. I have passed this to the engineer responsible for chamfer. Thanks for posting!

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 15
g-andresen
in reply to: Phil.E

Hi,

I noticed that the chamfer was initially created when the chain selection was deactivated.
On further attempts, this did not work either.
Depending on which edge was selected first, different lines were highlighted in red.

günther

Message 6 of 15
etfrench
in reply to: GillesJrBisson

Can you measure 0.00001mm?

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 7 of 15
TrippyLighting
in reply to: etfrench

@etfrench wrote:

Can you measure 0.00001mm?

I am not sure what you are implying with your message. 

I appreciate that the OP reported this behavior. Report bugs or undesirable behaviors  ultimately lead to a better product, needing fewer workarounds.

EESignature

Message 8 of 15
Phil.E
in reply to: TrippyLighting

In this case there is something going on with chamfer. We think we know what it is and are working on solutions.

Luckily there is a simple workaround. Are workarounds offensive to some people, perhaps, but every CAD operation is a workaround if you consider there are dozens of ways to model anything. It only becomes a negative workaround when your favorite, or the most convenient, workflow is blocked like this. Otherwise, you're probably doing something someone else, at least one person somewhere, would consider a workaround, nearly all the time.

Thanks for all the engagement and bug reports. Glad there's a community here to support each other. Fusion improves all the time with your help. Thanks for your time and patience when issues arise, and also your help.

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 9 of 15
GillesJrBisson
in reply to: g-andresen

Hi, thanks ! But I am not sure the mirror operation will work when the SlotCount is 2 and the width of Slot3 is 0. Moreover, I just figured out that when I do just that, the chamfer of inner wall1 starts to fail as well.

Message 10 of 15
GillesJrBisson
in reply to: Phil.E

Hi ! Thanks for looking into this. If it can help, I just figured out that if I set my SlotCount to 2 and set the width of Slot3 to 0 (which is a case that I want to work), I loose the chamfer of the 1st inner wall as well. It fails the same way.

Message 11 of 15
GillesJrBisson
in reply to: etfrench

Yes, in the Measure tool, you can set the precision  up to 8 digits. This is what I did to measure my edges becaue at first, I suspected that one of them was like 0.999999 something.

Unless what you meant was that I should be satisfied that 0.49999 is working but I said it was working if I enter the value directly. But the goal is to use my Chamfer parameter and no matter to what value I set the Chamfer parameter, the error propagates to the same results.

Message 12 of 15

NOTE:

My goal is to be able to set my SlotCount parameter to 1, 2, or 3.
Then to specify widths for Slot1, Slot2, and Slot3 accordingly (setting it to 0 if the slot does not exist).

Here are a few valid cases:

SlotCount = 1

Slot1 = 8

Slot2 = 0

Slot3 = 0

SlotCount = 2

Slot1 = 12

Slot2 = 8

Slot3 = 0

SlotCount = 3

Slot1 = 16

Slot2 = 8

Slot3 = 12

Message 13 of 15

Hello Everyone,

I am a Senior QA looking after this feature. I just want to thank you all for your valued input. Your help and insight is incredibly helpful to Autodesk and we thank you for your time and patience.
My Development team believe we know what is causing this issue and are currently investigating this matter further.

A ticket has been created:
FUS-157827

Samuel Temple

Senior Software QA Engineer

(samuel.temple@autodesk.com)

Become an Autodesk Fusion Insider

As a Autodesk Fusion Insider, you will have early access to next official version of Autodesk Fusion, several weeks before it is released to the general public.

Message 14 of 15

Hi @samuel.templeUCPAE @Phil.E ! Where can I check the status of the ticket that was created ? I did not find the place to go to monitor it. Thanks !

Message 15 of 15

That place is not open to the public.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report