Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UHD display issue

31 REPLIES 31
SOLVED
Message 1 of 32
Anonymous
3787 Views, 31 Replies

UHD display issue

Hi everyone,

After the most recent update, my Fusion 360 client seems to have an issue with displaying with UHD clarity?

Prior to this update, the display for Fusion would be crisp like most of the other software I run on my laptop.

windows 10, Intel Core i7-5500u cpu 2.40GHz, 16 gb ram, 64 bit, x64 based processor.

Please let me know if anyone has insight into this as I couldn't find any relevant posts to this issue.

Thanks!

31 REPLIES 31
Message 21 of 32
Coscor_NPL
in reply to: Phil.E

Hi Phil.e

Off caurse I can describe it here.

Just please don't hang me if it proves this did't do the trick or had any real effect, or somehow is harmfull, it seemed for me though.

So please if any do this, please do on own risk:

1. Press Windows Button + R, type “regedit”, and then click OK.
2. Navigate to the following registry subkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Microsoft > Windows > CurrentVersion > SideBySide
3. Right-click (on SideBySide), select NEW > DWORD (32 bit) Value (also click this if you have an 64Bit PC)
4. Type: PreferExternalManifest, and then press ENTER.
5. Right-click PreferExternalManifest, and then click Modify.
6. Enter Value Data to: 1 and select: Decimal.
7. Click OK. Exit Registry Editor.

next:

1. Copy the FusionLauncher.exe.manifest file next to the programs .exe file
(in my win10 case: C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Autodesk\webdeploy\production\6a0c9611291d45bb9226980209917c3d) you can find this place by right clicking your shortcut and click 'show file placement' maybe do this a couple of times until the 'core' .exe file is found

Tip: if it is another program, change the name of the manifest file... like ProgramLaunchExample.exe.manifest

You might need (for fusion360 at least) to copy the manifest file to a new location of the program's .exe location every time fusion360 have updated)

Tags (1)
Message 22 of 32
Phil.E
in reply to: Coscor_NPL

Thanks for this information.

Regards,

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 23 of 32
Coscor_NPL

The program crashed today... and... once again everything has gotten micro small...

closed my laptop with fusion running correctly yesterday

opened it today, and the program crashed, Sadly it did not prompt me to send a report to the developers (?)

then windows said to me that they had auto changed some compatebility settings (see picture in my Danish language, Translation in the bottom of this post) I apparently did not have a say in the matter...

opened fusion360... everything very small

Checked the setting for the fusionlauncher.exe, no compatability setting was turned on... (?)

tried to remove the manifest file and open the program, close the program, reinsert the manifest file again, but did not work

When I think about it, this is what happened last time also (the thing with compatability settings) and then it seemed after an update i added the manifest file and it worked again.

So now it seems I'll have to wait for an update and insert the manifest... to see if I can get it working...

STUPID WINDOWS!

Unavngivet.png

[title] There has been used compatability settings

[text] to fix a compatability issue there has been used a compatability setting. theese settings is used the next time you open the program.

[buttons] run Run Program / Close

Message 24 of 32
Coscor_NPL

I just solved it!

I found this link: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=960434

1. Hit start->run->regedit
2. Go to key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers
3. Look for a entry with your path to steam.exe FusionLauncher.exe
4. Delete that entry
5. If you dont find it there try HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers

I followed the instruction (minded on fusion360 instead of steam) and it worked like a charm!

I will try to see if I then can avoid using the manifest file... not sure how it factors into all this now.

what I think is happening:

program is updated (so a new .exe i generated)

it runs good

it crashes and maybe after a few times of crashes of whatever reason then at some point windows make a compatability auto fix (and inform you about it)

windows makes a regedit entry for that .exe

now the program is broken until an new update is applied to the program (and thus a new .exe file i generated) that is not 'corrupted' by window's auto compatability fix...

I deleted 3 'entries' of fusion360 in the regeditor as described, and if I think about it, I think that is as many times as the problem has occured!

Hope someone else can use this or the developers!

Message 25 of 32
Phil.E

Wow! Thanks for the great information.

I've sent this off to development for their look.

Best regards,

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 26 of 32
Phil.E

One last question,

in this step:

"4. Delete that entry",

do you recall the value of the entry you deleted?

Thanks,

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 27 of 32
Coscor_NPL

Hi Phil

No, sorry, I did not try to edit the registry to see what values was inside

I was kinda desperate 😉

only thing I think I can remember was that it's name was:

C:\Users\niels\AppData\Local\Autodesk\webdeploy\production\6a0c9611291d45bb9226980209917c3d\FusionLauncher.exe

If the problem arises again, and/or I reapply the fix... I promise to check the value out!

Hope it is of some help anyways

Message 28 of 32
Coscor_NPL

Hi Phil

The 'crash' happened again

It is actually not a crash at all... at least not in the typical sense... maybe this is why i did not get to send a crash report the last time?

I have not had any crashes since last post, and today I exited the program, it prompted me if I wanted to 'save and exit' or 'exit' or 'save' i choose 'save and exit'

it finished the save... exited the program... like it should it closed the program... and then the windows compatability window came up...

I went into the program right after this... and sure enough, everything was small...

Then I applied the 'regedit fix' and everything was normal again

hope this helped!

Picture below shows the value of the entry I deleted

regedit.jpg

Message 29 of 32
Phil.E

@Coscor_NPL

Great! Thanks again for your hard work to help us sort this out. I've logged a bug and this will be investigated to fix in a future update, hopefully soon.

It's impossible to test every single possible hardware configuration (thousands of variants), so your effort is helping many other users just like you. Obviously we would never release this if testing showed this problem on our limited number of systems (only hundreds of variants). Great team work! We thank you.

Regards,

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 30 of 32
Phil.E

One more question:

We think this is being caused by only some areas of Fusion.

What were you doing when the most recent "crash" happened? (aside from 'save and close')

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 31 of 32
Coscor_NPL

Hi Phil

Thanks, and right back at you guys!

well, not entierly sure what 'areas' you can refer to, but I usually work 90% of the time in model and 10% in cam

But sure the error that occurred today was in 'model mode'

But I just tried 'save and exit' here 5 min. ago acouple of times... but the program did not 'beak' down...

Maybe it has nothing to do with 'save and exit' but simple the fact that i exited the program, or the manifest file that is still there (it is still there, waiting for an program update and then i will not add a new manifest to this new .exe)

Sorry I cannot be of any help further, i'm allready swimming in deep water here as 'only' a designer/toolmaker 🙂

Message 32 of 32
Phil.E

@Coscor_NPL

No worries, this is plenty of information. You have been tremendous help.

Take care,

Phil

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report