Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UHD display issue

31 REPLIES 31
SOLVED
Message 1 of 32
Anonymous
3788 Views, 31 Replies

UHD display issue

Hi everyone,

After the most recent update, my Fusion 360 client seems to have an issue with displaying with UHD clarity?

Prior to this update, the display for Fusion would be crisp like most of the other software I run on my laptop.

windows 10, Intel Core i7-5500u cpu 2.40GHz, 16 gb ram, 64 bit, x64 based processor.

Please let me know if anyone has insight into this as I couldn't find any relevant posts to this issue.

Thanks!

31 REPLIES 31
Message 2 of 32
Phil.E
in reply to: Anonymous

We recently changed how Fusion scales in UHD displays.

Can you check a few things for us?

What percentage of scaling are you using? (Windows > Screen Resolution > Make text and other items larger or smaller)

Also check your graphics effects, is Anti-Aliasing on?

Thanks,

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 32
Anonymous
in reply to: Phil.E

resolutions set at the default 1980 x 1080

scaling default  125%

the problem was when the NVIDIA anti-analysing mode was on, i've since turned it off and nothing has changed.

Message 4 of 32
Phil.E

I meant the anti-aliasing effect that Fusion 360 carries in the effects tools:

Please make sure this is 'checked', which is ON.

Graphics effects.png

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 32
Anonymous

Oh sorry. Yes this is checked, it's on. Problem persists.

Message 6 of 32
Phil.E

One last thing for now, can you post a screenshot showing Fusion and another app side by side? I want to get a clear picture of the difference you are seeing, if at all possible.

Thanks,

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 7 of 32
Anonymous

You'll need to open the image in a new tab,

UHDfailure.jpg

Hopefully this shows what I'm seeing!

Message 8 of 32
Phil.E

Got it. Thanks! A picture really helps. The effects are not to blame or help here. This is purely scaling. Have you tried another scale factor, like 100 or 150%? Not to offer a workaround, but just testing to see if the issue exists for all scaling.

Also, just to be sure all the information is known, can you paste your graphics diagnostic info into a response please?

Thanks,

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 9 of 32
Anonymous

Thanks a lot! Adjusting the zoom fixed the problem.
I've scaled it to 100% which prompted a sign out of windows, upon signing in and opening fusion360 the problem was solved.

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 2/18/2016, 11:44:26
Machine name: NILESH
Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 10586) (10586.th2_release.160126-1819)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: TOSHIBA
System Model: Satellite P50-C
BIOS: 1.10
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5500U CPU @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 16298MB RAM
Page File: 4715MB used, 14014MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: 12
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
System DPI Setting: 120 DPI (125 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
Miracast: Available, with HDCP
Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Supported
DxDiag Version: 10.00.10586.0000 64bit Unicode

------------
DxDiag Notes
------------
Display Tab 1: No problems found.
Display Tab 2: No problems found.
Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
Input Tab: No problems found.

--------------------
DirectX Debug Levels
--------------------
Direct3D: 0/4 (retail)
DirectDraw: 0/4 (retail)
DirectInput: 0/5 (retail)
DirectMusic: 0/5 (retail)
DirectPlay: 0/9 (retail)
DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)
DirectShow: 0/6 (retail)

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics 5500
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Chip type: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
DAC type: Internal
Device Type: Full Device
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1616&SUBSYS_F8401179&REV_09
Display Memory: 8277 MB
Dedicated Memory: 128 MB
Shared Memory: 8149 MB
Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
Monitor Model: unknown
Monitor Id: LGD0470
Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (60.020Hz)
Output Type: Internal
Driver Name: igdumdim64.dll,igd10iumd64.dll,igd10iumd64.dll,igd12umd64.dll,igdumdim32,igd10iumd32,igd10iumd32,igd12umd32
Driver File Version: 20.19.0015.4331 (English)
Driver Version: 20.19.15.4331
DDI Version: 12
Feature Levels: 11.1,11.0,10.1,10.0,9.3,9.2,9.1
Driver Model: WDDM 2.0
Graphics Preemption: Triangle
Compute Preemption: Thread group
Miracast: Supported
Hybrid Graphics GPU: Integrated
Power P-states: Not Supported
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 18/11/2015 12:00:00 AM, 35016296 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
WHQL Date Stamp:
Device Identifier: {D7B78E66-5556-11CF-2262-4FD8B5C2D935}
Vendor ID: 0x8086
Device ID: 0x1616
SubSys ID: 0xF8401179
Revision ID: 0x0009
Driver Strong Name: oem67.inf:5f63e53468b7076c:iBDWM_w10:20.19.15.4331:pci\ven_8086&dev_1616
Rank Of Driver: 00D12001

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not sure what else is relevant, let me know if more information is required!

Message 10 of 32
Phil.E

This was what I was after:

"Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics 5500
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Chip type: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
DAC type: Internal
Device Type: Full Device
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1616&SUBSYS_F8401179&REV_09
Display Memory: 8277 MB
Dedicated Memory: 128 MB
Shared Memory: 8149 MB
Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)"

Thanks for the update. This is what I think was happening: we recently changed Fusion 360 so that it scales on UHD monitors. This is for people with hi res monitors who don't like tiny icons. The solution was to allow windows to scale the entire display. So the images for the interface are scaled and usually only in extreme cases does it look like that.

What you found I can only reproduce on a 27" UHD with Win 8.1 x 250% scaling!

So your video card may be causing this. You are using Intel 5500 graphics which are paging after 128k. Most video cards for CAD made by NVIDIA et. al. start at 1GB memory. It's possible in this case that a small amount of scaling was not handled correctly by the graphics engine. Unless we get independent confirmation, it's hard to say.

I'm really glad it looks better for you and let us know please if there are any other questions or concerns.

PS: this is the location of the built in graphics diagnostic tool for Fusion 360:

Graphics_Diagnostic.png

Thanks,

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 11 of 32
Coscor_NPL

Hi all

Well my resolution was fine for about a week (thought it was fixed in an update since it got better) and then suddenly it had reverted back to the impossible to work with micro environment (only thing I noticed was that the program crashed just before it went back)

Now it's back to everything being micro 😞 the picture below is on windows scaled 250% and an resolution of 3840 x 2160 on a 17'' screen

Before when the program ran correctly, I ran windows at 200% wich is more preferred for me, I only tried the 250 because it went bad again...

I'm getting SO angry about this, I love this program and what i represents but this problem renders the program unusable!

And no if I can avoid it I would prefer not to change the resolution of the screen, because then everything looks fuzzy (also if run on exactly half the res.)

I would love any help or tips about this... it's really destroying the program....

Micro 250 percent.jpg

[GPU Information]
GPU Device: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M
GPU RAM: 8192 MB
GPU Driver API: DirectX 11.0
GPU Driver Version: 1.6.200
GPU Driver Date: 02/23/2016

[Graphics Effects Settings]
Anti Aliasing: On
Ambient Occlusion: On
Object Shadow: Off
Ground Shadow: On
Ground Reflection: Off
Selection Display Style: Normal
Transparency Effect: Better Display

[Notes]
1. If you see any graphics display abnormalities, updating to the latest graphics card drivers could help resolve them; please check with your GPU vendors to download and install the latest graphics card drivers.

2. The effects could slow down the graphics rendering; try to limit them for optimum performance.

[Limit all effects to provide optimum performance]
Off

The below picture is when I run the program in half my screen resolution (1920*1080) on scaling 100%... this is how the program looked before (now everything is fuzzy) but it works

half res 100 percent.jpg

Message 12 of 32
Anonymous
in reply to: Coscor_NPL

What does the interface look like when scaled to 100%? I'm assuming Fusion wants to run at 100% for optimal clarity based on this fixing my problem.

Message 13 of 32
Coscor_NPL

Hi Nileshlala

Well everything (including windows) gets really really reaally small (see picture below)

The picture is in UHD (3840x2160) on my 17'' laptop screen

I do see there are a lot of possebilities (resolutions vs scaling) and think I do see that 100% and 200% looks more correct than 250%

but now i'm getting confused...

What I expected should happen is that if I run a res of 'half-res' 1920x1080 on 100% and it looks correct... Then if I run the UHD 3840x2160 (double of previous) at 200% then that should look correct too... right? 

But so far it does not seem to...

UHD 100 percent micro.jpg

Message 14 of 32
Phil.E

We don't know what happened, but something broke Fusion's ability to scale using the Windows scaling.

One thing to try is go to View > Reset to default layou. This will likely fail, but is worth trying.

Unfortunately, at this time the only other solution is a clean re-install.

Instructions are here:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/design-validate-document/fusion-360-readme/td-p/4311780

If you crash again, and this bad side effect happens again, it would be really nice to tie the two events together. In which case, be sure to send in every CER report, and include your email address. That way if your resolution goes wrong again, you can respond to this posting or create a new one and refer to the CER number.

CER_reporting.png

Thanks,

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 15 of 32
Coscor_NPL

Hi Phil.E

Many thanks for the reply!

I don't seem to be able to find the 'view' you mention, sorry if i'm missing it

I promise that if the program crashes I will add my e-mail, and then post here again to notefy (i cannot add the scaling problem in the crash window description, because I don't know if it will happen afterwards right?)

Are there any disadvantage to 'clean remove/install?' are any data/settings/options/layouts/? lost?

Thanks in advance!

Message 16 of 32
Phil.E

Clean uninstall will remove any locally cached designs, but those only exist to allow you to work offline. If your designs are saved, they are in the cloud safe and sound. You may lose a few options that are reserved for your local machine, separate from cloud saved options. I don't recall what they are at the moment.

This is the View menu, Reset option.

View_resest_to_default_layout.png

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 17 of 32
Coscor_NPL

Hi Phil.e

The view -> 'reset to default' did not do anything as expected...

Also the clean unninstall (uninstalling, and removing a lot of folders as described in the line) did not work either...

Is this a problem other people also have? as of now I need to go from 3840*2160 200% scale to 1920*1080 100% scale to make the program usable...

Anyways, thanks a lot for the help... hope we all someday find the solution for this

Would it be possible for Autodesk to maybe in the future to make the program ignore the windows scaling and then add a slider inside the Fusion360 settings to adjust the program from 100 - 250 scale? then the developer could make it all smooth while curcumventing windows's bad scaling and also make it possible for the user to manual set it bigger og smaller acc. their eyes/preferences?

Ps. read a lot up on something on a manifest file to fix the problem... do Autodesk have any experience on this? 

Message 18 of 32
Phil.E

@Coscor_NPL

At this point I have to punt. I'm sending this as a bug report to our developers who can decide which way to go here. I think we'll always use Windows scaling because it's available and works for the most part. Yours is the only reported case I've seen of this failing, so perhaps we just need to tune Fusion 360 to handle cases like yours.

PS: Which version of Windows are you running?

Thanks,

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 19 of 32
Coscor_NPL

So, I got desperate... the fuzzy screen because I set the resolution to the half, got me crazy...

So I tried the .manifest file fix...

and it worked! thank god!

It could also be because it seems like they updated the program 3 days ago (before the weekend)

Message 20 of 32
Phil.E

Can you describe the .manifest file fix and where you found it? Just in case another user finds your post and needs the solution, and also I would like to bring this up with development.

Thanks,

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report