Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to recreate a unique vase surface

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
wysocki.przemyslaw1
626 Views, 6 Replies

Trying to recreate a unique vase surface

Hi!

I'm working on achieving an effect similar to https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5885824:

wysockiprzemyslaw1_0-1680538522322.jpg

I've been trying for two days now and I think my attempts can be summed up into two ways, both using the Form tool:

1. I started with the cylinder basic shape. While creating a smooth-like vase is relatively easy (https://youtu.be/FTLb_tus4F4?t=865), I started struggling when I had to do the "teeth" which are hidden "beneath" the vase surface.

I tried creating a basic cylinder Form with the internal diameter, on which I tried extruding the "wall" part and the "teeth" part. This failed miserably because Fusion didn't allow me to merge the two bodies (it treated the extrusion as a separate object), and by extension - the symmetry propagating the "wall" and "teeth" did not work to the other sides of the cylinder.

2. In the second attempt I tried creating a sketch on the ground and extruding it upwards as a Form - this worked quite well (I guess, so far), but I had to increase the number of faces very high for the "teeth" part to maintain its shape. It's not bad in itself, but it turned out to be an issue when trying to add internal circular symmetry. It got a bit better when I enabled uniform division of faces, but it still didn't work. That's my end result:

wysockiprzemyslaw1_1-1680539106497.png

Internal circular symmetry won't work for me, I guess it's because the geometry is too complicated. I probably could clean it up a bit manually, but even then - I'd probably have to add the symmetry for every symmetrical face, and even with a slightest mistake everything would break (for example if I deleted a wrong face, not even talking about the case where I break important geometry and the object doesn't look like it was designed to be).

Could you please help me? I feel like I'm orbiting a simple, easy to use tool for doing stuff like that, but I keep gravitating towards my incompetence anyway.

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Please attach your model that you have done.  If you do not know how to attach your Fusion 360 model follow these easy steps. Open the model in Fusion 360, select the File menu, then Export and save as a F3D or F3Z file to your hard drive. Then use the Attachments section, of a forum post, to attach it.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 3 of 7

Here's the model. Thanks for the reply!

Message 4 of 7

I was sort of expecting your basic vase shape but your model is something else.  I created the basic shape of a vase to demonstrate one method of getting cuts along the surface in a twisted pattern.  I did not spend any time on the cut profile, all I wanted to do was give you the idea of how to achieve this type of cut.  If you cannot take the timeline apart to figure out my process let me know and I will create a video when I get a chance.  Model is attached.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 5 of 7

That worked amazingly well! That's my result, very much a draft and just a proof of concept:

wysockiprzemyslaw1_0-1680546560254.png

I had some issues with sweeping the "extrusions" on walls (sorry, my English is far from perfect), but I overcame it with "Path + guide surface" option.

Thank you!

Message 6 of 7

Hi! It should be highly doable in Fusion. Here is a quick attempt. The proportion isn't the same but the modeling approach should be quite similar. Basically, start with the vase body (Revolve). The groove is done by creating Twist Sweep Surfaces, Split and Thicken/Cut. Then pattern the cuts. Please take a look at the attached design.

Many thanks!

Vase.png

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 7 of 7

Thank you as well @johnsonshiue, that's the way it should be done, though I'm certain it also can be done through "Create Form" option. I don't need that though, thank you both for your help, I learned a lot 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report