Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble with a rail (Lofting kind)

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
vex
Collaborator
1632 Views, 17 Replies

Trouble with a rail (Lofting kind)

So... I seem to be running in to issues with setting up this rail for my loft. This rail was setup by extruding loft "profile 1" and then projecting on the surface from another sketch (from the x-z-plane). The extruded profile is tangent where necessary and *should* in my opinion provide no issues. But lo and behold it does.

Profile%20Sketch

Profile%20ExtrusionRails%20x-z-Plane

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
vex
Collaborator
in reply to: vex

Some additional pictures.Rails%20Projected%20to%20Surface

Message 3 of 18
laughingcreek

does it fail if you omit the circled rail?  If not, check that rail with a curvature comb to see if it is still G1 at that point.  sometimes when projecting across a G1 edge the line can degrade to G0.  you can fix by making profile for the extrude smooth instead of just tangent (maybe)loft question.PNG

Message 4 of 18
vex
Collaborator
in reply to: laughingcreek

No, the lofting doesn't fail if that rail is omitted, but it does cause a bulge which I find unsuitable. Unfortunately using the smooth constraint doesn't seem to help either. But the curvature there does abruptly change there for some reason. Not quite sure I understand why it does if I'm honest.

Message 5 of 18
vex
Collaborator

I've been playing around with your idea: Instead of using a smooth constraint I redid that portion of the extrusion by using a spline and manually forcing the tangents at those locations in a similar fashion. This seems to work well in getting rid of the original error (G1 to G0). Now I'm subject to the 'Rail can not be tangent to profile' error--which is again strange to me as none of the rails are tangent to any of the profiles.

To add even more weirdness to this issue, when I do the curvature analysis on it again I still have a discontinuity there but Fusion has no problem chaining the rail now.

It also is now possible to select one of the rails on the surface, just not both... I think this error is the inability for Fusion to solve the half circle of the loft profile to the straight line. Anyone from Autodesk care to weigh in?

Message 6 of 18
laughingcreek

maybe attach your file?

Message 7 of 18
vex
Collaborator

http://a360.co/2wLPq43

Provided.

Yes, I know it's not very well organized and I'm sorry. *Puts on flame suit*

Message 8 of 18
laughingcreek

sharing doesn't seem to be working.  can you attach it instead.  here's how to export from fuson-

Message 9 of 18

and, don't knwo what happened to pic, trying again-

Message 10 of 18

still not there, I guess there area some troubles over at the AD servers.

go to file-export.  export as a f3d file, make sure save to computer is checked, and attach to post

Message 11 of 18
vex
Collaborator

Well, here's a screen cast of what I'm on about. I'm wondering if this is a bug within Fusion.

Message 12 of 18
vex
Collaborator

Has anyone else had similar troubles? It'd be great if an Autodesk tech could take a look and tell me if I'm doing something foolish.

Message 13 of 18
PaulMunford

Hi @vex

I'm not sure what shape you are trying to create, so it's a little difficult to give a definitive answer. I've attached a file with a possible solution for you to take a look at.

Here are some tips that have helped me out.

• A Loft is a four sided surface fitted to the input geometry.
  • A Patch is a four side surface Trimmed to the input geometry.
  • Lofts are more successful when the input geometry is four sided.
  • Patches can be applied to any number of bounding geometries.
  • To use a Loft with no-four sided bounding geometry - overbuild your lift and trim back.
  • Lofts are more successful when the input profile contains the same number of geometries as the output profile (and the same with rails).
  • Loft rails and profiles must intersect.
  • Loft rails containing multiple geometries should be tangent continuous.

Does that help?

Paul

Autodesk Marketing Manager D&M
Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my company.
Linkedin Twitter Instagram Facebook Pinterest

Message 14 of 18
vex
Collaborator
in reply to: PaulMunford

Hey Paul,

Thanks for taking a stab at this. The design is for duct routing on my project car. There are some unique constraints that I'm stuck with, so actually getting the ducts the way I want/need them is constrained about trying to fit two other ducts, heat exchangers, and the various intake areas; all the while trying ensure that the profile increases as it traverses to the exchanger. Did I also mention there's only finite room for everything?

lol, I sure now how to choose the projects, huh?

Message 15 of 18
TrippyLighting

I am pretty certain this was already answered in the other thread you started with the same geometry 

EESignature

Message 16 of 18
samuel.templeUCPAE

Due to the limitations, we have closed the following ticket:

FUS-37167

Thank you to everyone's incredibly helpful input in this thread.

Samuel Temple

Senior Software QA Engineer

(samuel.temple@autodesk.com)

Become an Autodesk Fusion Insider

As a Autodesk Fusion Insider, you will have early access to next official version of Autodesk Fusion, several weeks before it is released to the general public.

Message 17 of 18

@samuel.templeUCPAE wrote:

Due to the limitations, we have closed the following ticket:

FUS-37167...

@samuel.templeUCPAE -That's sort of random.  what was that ticket for?

Message 18 of 18

The ticket had been raised and mentioned in:
 https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fusion-360-support/lofting-rail-issue-possible-bug/m-p/7555801/highli...

It was to investigate whether there was a bug causing the loft to not work or if it was due to limitations of the system. 

These two forum posts were very similar and were using the same model.

Samuel Temple

Senior Software QA Engineer

(samuel.temple@autodesk.com)

Become an Autodesk Fusion Insider

As a Autodesk Fusion Insider, you will have early access to next official version of Autodesk Fusion, several weeks before it is released to the general public.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report