Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thread dimensioning.

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
hatchettpete
237 Views, 3 Replies

Thread dimensioning.

Problem:-designed a 6mm o.d. shaft 25mm long. Used create thread tool to thread end 10mm of shaft. When I dimension the drawing from the design the non threaded saft diameter is now 5.88mm? Any idea what I have done incorrectly?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

the thread tool will change the diameter to match what it needs to be for what ever thread size you chose. (you can check this yourself by using a larger or smaller thread size).

you can split the face along the length of your extrude, and apply the thread to one of the faces, the change in diameter will stop at the face split.

Message 3 of 4

@hatchettpete wrote:

Any idea what I have done incorrectly?

Nothing done incorrectly.

Attach your *.f3d file here if you can't figure out how to Split Face as suggested by @laughingcreek 

Message 4 of 4

Thanks to the chaps who replied. Splitting the face solved the problem. I am puzzled why this should be necessary as using the thread tool gives the option to specify a threaded distance. It seems the tool sets the whole rod diameter to the mean Thread Major diameter regardless of the desired thread length.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report