Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TFI - CADTips Challenge

107 REPLIES 107
Message 1 of 108
TheCADWhisperer
3984 Views, 107 Replies

TFI - CADTips Challenge

@Neil_Cross posted a fun challenge over on his channel this morning.

I just modeled this in Inventor and then gave a few minutes of thought to how I would model it in Fusion 360.

It is pretty easy to model in Inventor, a few minutes of thought is all I needed to decide that it wasn't worth my effort to attempt to model in Fusion, but I would love to see the technique used by someone with more Fusion 360 experience than I.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kc5hpLR8edQ&t=153s

107 REPLIES 107
Message 2 of 108

So far it seems to be a hit with everyone.  Most people getting it just slightly wrong, handful of people got it right so far!

I'm still not 100% sure how you would do this in Fusion, it's missing the feature which plays a big part in the formation of this design so I'm not sure how you'd approach this... but super respect will go out to anyone who manages to nail this in Fusion! @lars_christensen  nudge nudge be a lamb and smash this one out the park for Fusion!

Message 3 of 108
colinNJB25
in reply to: Neil_Cross

I make guitar parts in Fusion with a 25' and a 14' radius. It is not a pleasant work flow. 

Message 4 of 108
colinNJB25
in reply to: colinNJB25

Well 2 hours later...

Challange Curved v1.png

Message 5 of 108
colinNJB25

And not quite right....

Screen Shot 2019-07-31 at 4.12.30 PM.png

Message 6 of 108
colinNJB25

I can't think of a way to make the flanges perpendicular. 😕 I tried a couple more ideas...

Message 7 of 108
TrippyLighting

@Neil_Cross @TheCADWhisperer  In Fusion 360 this is all hand modeling the final form.

I don't work with Inventor but I assume it has a bend function that allows to deform and flat modeled object.

I can do that in my other non Autodesk CAD software as well, but in Fusion 360 that does not exist.

I've not come to conclusion yet if that can be done accurately, but I'd have to use that clunky web viewer to take measurements and already could not figure out how to get that to work. LOL.

Maybe after a good nights sleep 😉

EESignature

Message 8 of 108
colinNJB25
in reply to: TrippyLighting

I found a few workflows, some quicker than others but the final problem is the lack of the ability to extrude from a double convex shape or bend a flat shape. I am sure you saw this right away but I had to try things. This angle should be 90 deg...

Screen Shot 2019-07-31 at 6.40.07 PM.png

Message 9 of 108

You were not wrong about that Web viewer, I am still chuckling over your polite description! 

Needs a bigger refresh button.  Hope I don't need it for anything else.

Got it done, but with unexpected distortion, will wait for the answer, can't send it in, it's wrong.

Unless I find another way.

Message 10 of 108
TrippyLighting

Does that look about right ?

Screen Shot 2019-08-01 at 3.34.38 PM.png

EESignature

Message 11 of 108
Neil_Cross

Hi Peter - I wouldn't confirm or deny if that's right or not as I wouldn't want the correct answer to be available for everyone to see! Part of the mystery of the challenge is that people don't know if they've done it right ;0)

Message 12 of 108

Save it as a STEP and submit it to the contest email.

Message 13 of 108

Done that already 😉

EESignature

Message 14 of 108
etfrench

Here's mine.  I doubt that it, or anything done in Fusion 360, will match the Inventor specs unless the method/formula Inventor uses to distort the flat model into the compound curve model is known.

Invusion_002.JPG

Here's Detail C:

Detail_C.JPG

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 15 of 108
davebYYPCU
in reply to: etfrench

Detail C was shown in flat pattern state, should work.

Message 16 of 108
etfrench

The flat pattern state is an impossible state.  If the inner lip vertical surfaces are normal to outer lip's top surface, then its top and bottom widths must be different.  There is also no reference surface given.  If it's the top surface of the inner lip, then the outer lip cannot be 9mm wide and still be 100mm x 130mm.

My Detail C used the top surface of the outer lip as the reference surface.  The dimension shown (9.0000mm) is point to point while it should be the length of the arc segment which is currently 34 nanometers longer than it should be 😁

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 17 of 108
Neil_Cross
in reply to: etfrench

Well 21 people so far have managed to get it done correctly using the original detailing!

FYI I dunno if this is what you meant, but the flat state isn't a flat pattern in the context of sheet metal.  The views and dims exist purely to give someone enough info to remodel it, and also a clue as to what the most efficient way is to get there, which it definitely does as a good few people have managed it!

Message 18 of 108
TrippyLighting

So I modeled this in ZW3D with a method I assume much, much closer to the one that is likely used in Inventor.

Needless to say it only took a small fraction of the time and was straight forward.

I exported as .step, imported into Fusion 360, applied the SS material and took the properties. I am off by 2 milligrams on the weight compared to my Fusion 360 design. Close enough in my book, because:

1. We are exporting/importing NURBS surfaces and the algorithms in ZW3D unlikely are to be exactly the same as the one in Inventor.

2. The Fusion 360 design might not be milligram comparable to the one from Inventor due to the fully manual modeling approach required by Fusion 360. While both use the same geometric modeling kernel I would not be surprised to see some difference.

image.png

Edit:

I did another little experiment. I removed the chamfer of the model imported from ZW3D and re-applied a Fusion 360 native chamfer of the same size. That alone caused a drop in weight by another milligram.

EESignature

Message 19 of 108

@TrippyLighting wrote:

Edit:

I did another little experiment. I removed the chamfer of the model imported from ZW3D and re-applied a Fusion 360 native chamfer of the same size. That alone caused a drop in weight by another milligram.

I did similar experiment in entirely in Inventor.

I removed the chamfer from flat state and then added it back in the double bent state and got a slight difference in mass properties.  Superimposing one part over the other shows slight difference in boundary edge (at least visual, I did not bother to attempt measurement of the observed difference).

Section view shown below.

Chamfer Difference.PNG

Given that the contest shows the Chamfer in the flat state before "bending", I would say that is when it should be placed, but this presents a conundrum for modeling in software that does not have a Bend feature.

I would say the Bend feature itself is a confounding variable as I don't think it matches real world condition of pressing the prescribed flat into the double curvature.  I think the part would have to be molded in finished state to match whatever the Bend algorithm produces.

Edit:  Given this demonstration of the Chamfer feature, all of the other features would also be subject to the same potential differences in attempting to model in finished state vs "Bending" from the given flat state.

Message 20 of 108

I modeled the part in both Inventor and in SolidWorks.

The Flat Form mass properties are identical in both.

If this was representative of a real world - take this flat part and bend as shown, the Mass and Volume would be identical in both flat and bent form.

But purely as a modeling challenge the Volume of material does change.

My results are significantly different between SolidWorks and Inventor and bent and flat (in each) even though Flat Form was identical.

I will post videos of my technique in both programs for others to verify if I did or did not use equivalent techniques in both SolidWorks and Inventor and replicate my results.

Invusion CAD Challenge Mass Prop.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report