Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text Drag sketch issues

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
GPTech2444
577 Views, 6 Replies

Text Drag sketch issues

Hi, I'm trying to recreate a logo and I need to transform the letters so they are barrel shaped.

I type the text, then I explode the text, then I unfix the text and this allows me to move the letters around as well as transform the shape of the letters with the exception of the letter "S". Some other letters are similar but the "S" is the worst.

I think it maybe a bug.

Thanks,

Grant.

Learn, Grow, Succeed.
Tags (2)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: GPTech2444

This isn't really a solution to the "bug" you are experiencing, but have you tried to project the exploded text onto a cylinder face to achieve the barrel text shape?  I don't have a lot of experience projecting text but I've got it to work a few times!  Best of luck.

Message 3 of 7
GPTech2444
in reply to: Anonymous

I tried projecting onto a sphere and it works but not how I want it, I think I may have to use illustrator to make a svg of what I need.
Perhaps bug isn't the right word, maybe a glitch, I don't know. Text would well be down the list of priorities.
Thanks.
Learn, Grow, Succeed.
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous

I hope it isn't too far down the list. 🙂

For some guys, it is crucial to be able to do simple line text for engraving. Especially those that need serial numbers, part numbers or very simple logo's. I can use any stick font and it would do okay I think. Others probably the same for serial and model numbers. 

That is a pretty basic function and with the work arounds of importing an SVG file, it is no longer trivial. It took me 10 tries or so to get my text located and properly sized. Arggg. 😉

Solid Works has trouble with that too though.

Message 5 of 7
curtis.chan

Hello GPTech2444,

Just wanted to add some of my experience in working with logos/decals inside of Fusion 360,but working with a .svg is the best way to project letters; and then use CAM for Fusion 360 for engraving on a part.  Here's a YouTube Video I put together a while back working with the project command and the trace operation inside of Fusion 360.  Hope this helps in some fashion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Xt1Es_dg8&list=PLmA_xUT-8UlJjXkVwdduZ3PCgJMPEGRbU

Best,

Message 6 of 7
GPTech2444
in reply to: curtis.chan

Thanks Curt,
I have already watched that vid, but was good to go over it again.
Grant.
Learn, Grow, Succeed.
Message 7 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: curtis.chan

Thanks for the video. It was a big help and how I was able to get as far along as I did. The SVG was made in Turbocad, so maybe some conflict there. It was saved in inches and imported the same way, but I had to scale it to .03 of it's imported size. 

Once I did get it correctly placed on the sketch, I could setup machine tool pathing for the engraving. Okay there. Next I might want to render the part for my website. Well, that text will not render because it isn't actually into the part. I have to add different text and extrude like the video shows. 

I am used to just exploding line text in Turbocad, importing into sheetcam and engraving at specific depth. Now granted TC will not render such text properly either, but I can get it to show up on the surface of a rendered part as lines.

I understand I am asking a lot to bridge both machining and graphics needs with the same data, but it works very well for most items that I would be using. I'm rooting for you guys. 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report