Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text Bounding Box and Parameterization

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
dtruong0131
708 Views, 10 Replies

Text Bounding Box and Parameterization

I would like to see the ability to limit text size to the bounding box in the sketch environment. This would allow for text size to be parametrically linked to other dimensions in a more practical way than is currently offered. For example, if I am modeling name tags of a consistent size and I want the text size to update based on effective bounderies of the text if it were exploded, I have to change the size manually as there is no way to link the size of the contents in the text box and another dimension. If I create the text on a path, that constrains the text along the path, but may cause overlaps if there are too many characters for the selected size and line length. I believe parameterized text is a must in an application like Fusion 360, and I'm disappointed that it doesn't offer such features. 

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
wheezy11
in reply to: dtruong0131

Agreed. I already have to create a rectangle in a drawing to make a text bounding box match a size I want easily to center on surfaces. Parametric alignment of location, size being a formula based on other dimensions, etc would be fantastic for individual designs and especially configurations. Configs work well with a lot of things - text isn't one of them from what I've messed with.

Message 3 of 11
etfrench

What do you mean by Text size, character spacing, width, or height?  Height is parametric and changing that also changes the width.  It's fairly easy to determine the actual height and widths of a font's characters by measuring them.  Put these in user parameters and use them to adjust the text height or the length of the path.

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 4 of 11
dtruong0131
in reply to: etfrench

Total size as defined by a bounding box. If I change the text box contents, the size of the box changes if the characters change or the number of characters changes. This is not feasible to calculate for every letter and the number of letters or combinations therein. 

EDIT: Ideally, the character height could change in accordance with the bounding box. An example would be nametags, where each name is different, but the size of the tag is consistent. The character height must change for each name to fit on the tag if I don't want tiny names or oversized names. 

Message 5 of 11
etfrench

The text bounding box does not constrain the text, so you either have to do it manually or do the calculations.   Ideally, Fusion would do the calculating, but until that happens...

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 6 of 11
dtruong0131
in reply to: etfrench

I know it doesn't constrain the text, but apparently, it used to with the old text tool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzpIyL7QxBA

Message 7 of 11
laughingcreek

That's pretty interesting.  It would seem that as the text command has been tweaked, some of it's functionality has been removed.  Hard to imagine this was intentional, but maybe.

@Phil.E  - thoughts?

Message 8 of 11
MichaelT_123

Hi  Mr DTruong0131, Fellows,

The text handling in F360 still needs some improvements. The 'parametric text TAG' request is an example of a situation where the current textObject lacks some functionality.

I will present in a separate post 'not necessarily elegant' but an interim solution which some might find it also 'workable'.

The title of the post will contain two capital 'T’s.

Regards

MichaelT

MichaelT
Message 9 of 11
MichaelT_123
Message 10 of 11
Phil.E
in reply to: laughingcreek

Perhaps, but now you have a dialog box. Drive the text height by referring a height dimension you place on the text box. 

PhilE_0-1707838289608.png

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 11 of 11
laughingcreek
in reply to: Phil.E

@Phil.E wrote:... Drive the text height by referring a height dimension you place on the text box. 

right. but the video shows driving the height as a function of the length, which we can't get anymore.  That's the functionality that was changed/lost.  I was hoping you had a friend of a friend who's little sister had a third cousin who once talked to a guy who picked up a hitch hiker who had heard about someone who was on the sketch team who might know about such things like, was this intentionally removed because xyz, or was it inadvertently broken?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report