Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sweep with Solid body

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
2164 Views, 9 Replies

Sweep with Solid body

I am trying to sweep a profile to mimic the movement of a .125" ball endmill. 

I can just use trace in manufacture to get the shape I want, but I would really like to be able to model the part correctly. 

What is the best way to model this?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
jeff_strater
in reply to: Anonymous

unfortunately, there is no great way to do this in Fusion today.  I took a look at your model, but it was not immediately obvious what body you want to sweep along what path.  You can get a close approximation using silhouette edge projection and some clever copy/split/move of the body, but that is labor-intensive, and can fail for complex bodies.

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 3 of 10
MRWakefield

Is this the kind of thing you're thinking of?

2020-04-22.png

If this answers your question please mark the thread as solved as it can help others find solutions in the future.
Marcus Wakefield

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I've created a Windows application for creating custom thread files for Fusion. You can find out about it here. Hope you find it useful.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: MRWakefield

Yes that is what I am trying to model.

How did you accomplish this?

Message 5 of 10
etfrench

I would use two coils, one with a circular section to simulate the ball end, and one with a square section to simulate the shank.

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 6 of 10
etfrench

Adding the guide rail makes the sweep work. 

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: etfrench

Got it, thanks!

Message 8 of 10
etfrench

I think @MRWakefield post would be the preferred solution 😀

p.s. To see how it was done, use the Timeline play buttons in the lower left of the Fusion 360 window.  You can also use Edit Feature to see all of the settings.

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 9 of 10
MRWakefield

As @etfrench said; scroll through the timeline to see how I did it. You were close-ish, you just needed to have your profile perpendicular to the path and add a couple of revolves to model the ends of the slot/pocket. Oh yes, and use one of the paths as a guide rail for the sweep as per @etfrench's comment.

If this answers your question please mark the thread as solved as it can help others find solutions in the future.
Marcus Wakefield

I've created a Windows application for creating custom thread files for Fusion. You can find out about it here. Hope you find it useful.

Message 10 of 10
jeff_strater

all of those approaches will work in this case (simple body, simple path).  Here is a more general (not 100% general, just more so...) approach to the "sweep a solid body", just FYI.

start with the tool and the path:

Screen Shot 2020-04-22 at 11.37.27 AM.png

create a second instance of the tool at the end of the path (removed at the end), using Pattern on Path:

Screen Shot 2020-04-22 at 11.37.46 AM.png

copy/paste body at the start and end - creates two bodies at the root (could be in another component, I was too lazy to do that):

Screen Shot 2020-04-22 at 11.39.01 AM.png

Create a Plane Along Path at the start:

Screen Shot 2020-04-22 at 11.39.20 AM.png

sketch on that plane, project the tool silhouette into the sketch (Project, with selection set to "Bodies"):

Screen Shot 2020-04-22 at 11.39.55 AM.png

sweep/join that profile along that path:

Screen Shot 2020-04-22 at 11.40.37 AM.png

then you have a body that you can use to subtract against another body, or use as a keepout volume for a mechanism, etc...

As I said, a bit of effort, but fairly accurate...

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report