Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Struggling with thickening a OBJ file

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
christopher.giles
620 Views, 12 Replies

Struggling with thickening a OBJ file

I am hoping someone can help me dig myself out of the hole I have been in for the last week.

I am importing a boat hull shape into Fusion 360 as an OBJ file (I have tried 3D DFX files as well).  I use the hull design software because it does complex hydrostatic calculations and creates linesplans.  My goal is to have a proper solid body so I can design the rest of the key parts such as ribs, chine, sheer line, etc. so I can manufacture them on a CNC router.

I can't seem to find any consistent was to thicken the imported OBJ file.  I have converted it to BREP and none of the thicken operations work.  I have converted it to a BREP and converted it again with the Solid Convert command to Quad meshes.  I get stuck there.

I have turned off Capture Design History, but I can't make any changes in the Mesh workspace.  I can't select any of the faces let alone stitch anything together.

I have tried boundary fill as well.

I have attached both the OBJ file and the #DFX files to this post.  UPDATE:  I tried to attach the files, but Autodesk keeps removing them. 😞

Thank you!

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Your attached files did not make it in your post.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 3 of 13

This is the OBJ file for the boat hull.  I hope.

Message 4 of 13

You will have to zip these file, then attach.  Forum posts can only attach certain files without zipping.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Message 5 of 13

I apologize, all.  This is my first time using this forum.  I have been able to muddle through my other learning curves.

Here is a ZIP file with the OBJ and 3D DFX files.

Message 6 of 13

I have very little luck with any type of mesh, this one included.  I have attached the best conversion I can get and a Screencast on how I did it.  The mesh looses all of its radii upon conversion directly.  I used the smoothing operation to help maintain these but then you get a faceted solid.  Hope it helps some.

efecdce4-8e01-4f69-b3a0-f366f9b98796,640,650

John Hackney
Retired

Message 7 of 13

This mesh is mostly a quad mesh so it can be converted into a T-Spline. It needs a little cleanup to remove the triangles. I note that the thing comes in at approximately 15mm length so you might want to scale the mesh either before import, or you scale the T-Spline. Don't scale the surface, or solid.

Then you can thicken it preferably with the tool in the surface tab as that is parametric and more precise. But if all fails, this can also be thickened in the T-spline.

Edit: added a little render for pure pleasure:

Skiff.png

EESignature

Message 8 of 13

Thank you very much for taking the time to look into my issues.  Unfortunately, I lose too much resolution when I delete the diagonals and all of the corners are becoming rounded.  I need an exact body so that I can create sketches, bodies, and CNC g-code for  the interior structural components.

Unfortunately, when the model goes through these transformations it changes too much.

I make have to redraw all of the sketches from the design documents called linesplans.  It is a real headache and takes a lot of time, but I can't seem to find another way to do this.  Fusion 360 just seems very limited in its dealings with meshes and the like.

Again, thank you so much for taking the time and creating the screencast.  It was very easy for me to follow.

Message 9 of 13

Would this work ?

Screen Shot 2020-04-12 at 6.18.30 AM.png

EESignature

Message 10 of 13

How did you make this??

This is basically what I am trying to make.

Thank you!

Message 11 of 13

There is a “crease” function/tool in the T-Spline environment.

EESignature

Message 12 of 13

Hi, thank you again.  I was able to create a hull like you did above with the crease function.  That worked nicely.

Now I have another perhaps related issue.  The body appears to be a solid body, but I can't create a sketch plane of any of its surfaces, nor can I project any of the geometry from the new hill.  Ideally, I'd create a plans starting at the transom about every 2 feet.  Projecting the hull shape on all of those various plans gives me the shape of each rib.  I can then manufacture those ribs on the CNC machine.  

The number of sketch planes depends on the length of the hull and a handful of other hydrodynamic properties.

Does this make sense?  Any ideas?

Thank you!!

Message 13 of 13

Yes, that does make sense. You can create offset planes form one of the origin planes.

Another method could be to create a sketch and then create plane-at-angle on sketch lines etc.

Ten you can projet-intersect surfaces onto that sketch.

Have you gone through any of the introductory tutorials n the Learn & Support section of this forum?

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report