Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stress analysis with different materials produces same results problem

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Oli_Young
368 Views, 5 Replies

Stress analysis with different materials produces same results problem

Hi - can someone help? Noob question: I am trying to compare the results of two stress analyses - moments on steel and plastic levers, but the results seem to be the same. (Please see attached file) What might I be doing wrong?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
TheCADWhisperer
in reply to: Oli_Young

Can you File>Export your *.f3d file to your local drive and then Attach it here to a Reply?

Your image does not show the stress values? (Or displacement values.)

Message 3 of 6
Oli_Young

Thanks for the reply. I thought the graph showing a factor 8 was the result of the test - and in both instances it is the same? I have enclosed the f3d file as well in the hope that you can help me understand, thanks.

Message 4 of 6
dsouzasujay

Hi @Oli_Young 

As per Hooke’s law, Stress is proportional to Strain.

Stress=Load/Area

Strain=Change in Length/Original Length

So, Stress does not depend upon “Type” of material . Stress depends on the area on which force is acting.
If two objects of the same dimensions are subjected to identical loads(In your case Load case1 and Load case2 has same loads), then the stresses in the two objects will be identical.

If you find my answer solved your question, please click the "Accept Solution" button

Sujay D'souza
SQA Manager
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 5 of 6
Oli_Young

I think I have found the issue, and now I get a comparison that reflects the different reactions of a different material. 

Message 6 of 6
TheCADWhisperer

@Oli_Young wrote:

I thought the graph showing a factor 8 was the result of the test - and in both instances it is the same?

Actually - it is not showing that both are the same.

It is showing that both are 8+ that is, both are SF greater than 8.

You can change the SF legend to get actual values, but greater than 8 we probably don't care.

We generally only care about SF when it starts to approach 1 (linear elastic limit).

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLp5izJt_zvN0KUccGh5OrgbNTZ_c4vYxs

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report