Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Square to round transition sheet metal

27 REPLIES 27
Message 1 of 28
frankze8
5671 Views, 27 Replies

Square to round transition sheet metal

Is it possible to make a square to round sheet metal transition in fusion 360? I have tried for a while but the flange won't grab the round.
27 REPLIES 27
Message 2 of 28

This video helped me to understand the sheet metal environment better:

Message 3 of 28

@lichtzeichenanlagewrote:

This video helped me to understand the sheet metal environment better:

Can you attach your example square to round transition based on the video that you referenced?
Message 4 of 28

Message 5 of 28

*.f3d file that answers OP’s question. 

Message 6 of 28

@TheCADWhisperer: So I have always have to provide a own design to answer questions. Sorry that's new to me. Then I will probably be able to contribute less in this forum, because I do not always have Fusion 360 here. Sorry for trying to help.

Message 7 of 28

@lichtzeichenanlagewrote:

...to answer questions. 

I watched the video and did’t see an answer?

Message 8 of 28

@TheCADWhisperer: So trolling around by writing comments that do not even indirectly say what you mean is helping the TO? Another thing that I didn't know. Have a nice day.

Edit: Typo removed

Message 9 of 28

I’ll try to be more clear, “Can you Attach an example *.f3d file here that demonstrates a possible solution to the problem statement as posted by the OP.”

Having spent real time on this Design Intent myself, I am keenly interested in seeing your solution- the *.f3d solution to the problem statement. Seemed like a logical next step in the development to me.

Message 10 of 28

Yes, I have watched this video, and quite a few others. They are all informative and helpful. None so far have addressed this design issue. I'm currently thinking it is not possible to do.
Message 11 of 28
wmhazzard
in reply to: frankze8

I am not sure if this will help you but try adding a very short straight line to the round section in your sketch then extrude up. That will give you a straight area to grab from for the flange.

Message 12 of 28

Not sure, but is this something you're looking for?

Something like this?Something like this?

Message 13 of 28

This is what I'm wanting to make, without the round flange at the top. It would be in 4 pieces, so when I make the flat pattern I can plasma cut them.
Message 14 of 28

But isn't this something you could just do in the modle environment?

Message 15 of 28
frankze8
in reply to: wmhazzard

I hadn't thought of that. I'll give it a try when I get home. Thanks
Message 16 of 28
ninolemann

Works well with the model environment, with the 'loft command' (see attached .f3d)

the template for the plasma cutting will be a bit more of a problem:

- you could use the tool ExactFlat, its available online and free, and it allows you to unfold curved objects for laser cutting and such. But prepare to get your mailbox flooded with ads from ExactFlat

-For a duct transition pipe like this, you could also calculate the design: the transition pipe consists of four trapezoid shaped sheet metals, the long edge being the side length of your square duct, the short edge being a quarter of the circumference of your round edge, and the two tapered edges of the trapezoid will be the 'transition length'.

this will get you almost there.

for even better fitting, add some curvature to the short edge, resembling some devil horns, otherwise there will be slits at the end of the weld seams, where the round flange will be attached.

Hope this helps

Message 17 of 28
frankze8
in reply to: ninolemann

Thanks, yes the loft command made a beautiful square to round, but as you stated there isn't a way to get a flat pattern out of it.

I guess I'm back to using the ms-dos program that came off of a 5.5 floppy disc.
Message 18 of 28
ninolemann

In case your floppy disk drive is busy with buzzing the imperial march, i found this online calculator from a guy named craig:

http://www.houseofcraig.net/squ2rnd.php

he makes templates for two pieces, he even adds material for the welding seams (sorry, i'm clueless about welding). if you use the complete square edge on the lower end and trim of a quart of the circumference curvature on each side of the upper end, you should get your intended template.

Hope this helps...

(Don't give up on fusion yet. it has its shortcomings, but overall, its a very powerful and intuitive CAD program...)

Message 19 of 28
frankze8
in reply to: ninolemann

Thanks for the info.

I haven't given up on fusion yet. A lot of the sheet metal designs I do are much quicker and easier than the previous program I was using (bob cad).
Message 20 of 28
TheCADWhisperer

I am pretty sure that this can be done as a Sheet Metal part in Fusion that will flatten.

It will be a couple of days till I can get around to posting solution - so check back and bump this thread if necessary.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report