Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

simulation thin wall

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
LARA-Engineering
1631 Views, 10 Replies

simulation thin wall

is there any plan when fusion simulation comes up with a thin wall solution?

Freddy de Jong
LARA Engineering
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

What do you mean by a thin wall solution?

Message 3 of 11

thin body's, like sheet metal

Freddy de Jong
LARA Engineering
Message 4 of 11

If you mean Shell Elements for simulation, yes, we are working on that currently.  We don't have a good estimate for when we will have them ready for release but we're targeting the second quarter in 2018.

Tyler Henderson
Principal User Experience Designer

Message 5 of 11

Yes shell's from thin body's like inventor stress analysis or nastraninCad.
good to hear you're working on that

Freddy de Jong
LARA Engineering
Message 6 of 11
jeang32
in reply to: LARA-Engineering

Sorry for bring this post back to life. 
1. Starting at which ratio of L/l/t is thin wall "functionality required" ? And what are the issues to expect in running the current functionality with thin walls ?
Concretely, would a slab 110 x 300 x 3cm be considered thin. Force being applied in the direction of the thin section.
Reason is I am having difficulty getting results to converge thru adaptive mesh. Perhaps I'll make a post when this set of simulation ends.
I thought though I would try to get the "fundamental" issues with thin wall...

2. Any suggested work arounds to deal with this limitation given the current state of simulation ?

Thanks,

Jean

Message 7 of 11
tyler_henderson
in reply to: jeang32

Hi Jean,

I don't think there is a simple rule to determine when to use shell elements.  Shells are used to reduce computation time for thin models.  The reason is because when you use solid elements in thin models, you need to make sure there are sufficient number of elements through the thickness of the model in order to properly support bending.  If you don't have enough elements through the thickness, then the structure can be overly stiff.  A general rule is to make sure you have no less than 3 solid elements through the thickness, but more is better.  The problem with this is that often means the element size must be quite small relative to the other dimensions of the model which significantly increases the total number of solid elements and the computation time.  There isn't a good workaround for this without Shell Elements.

Tyler Henderson

Message 8 of 11
Noah_Katz
in reply to: tyler_henderson

@tyler_henderson

> ... we're targeting the second quarter in 2018.

What's the current ETA for shells?

Will F360 automatically decide when it's appropriate to use them?

Also, any plans for other basic and very useful element types like beams and springs?

Message 9 of 11
tyler_henderson
in reply to: Noah_Katz

Hi Noah,

Unfortunately, the Simulation Shells project has been put on hold due to higher priority projects.  At this time we do not have an estimate for when the Shells project will resume.

Tyler Henderson

Message 10 of 11
Noah_Katz
in reply to: tyler_henderson

OK, thanks, Tyler

Message 11 of 11

Hi @tyler_henderson , 

Sorry if this was covered already somewhere else in the forum but couldn't find any other threads on this. Seeing that your post here was in 2018, was wondering if there is any development on the future capability of fusion Thin Wall simulation. 

If I could also extend the question and ask if 1D beam elements are also in the works for Fusion future versions. 

Appreciate your response. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report