Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simple Interlocking Joints

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
matt.culik
2016 Views, 10 Replies

Simple Interlocking Joints

I'm working on drawer organizers for our kitchen. They will be made from 1/4" plywood which I will laser cut. I'd lock to design in simple interlocking joints to ease assembly.

My plan (for a number of reasons) is to draw the organizers in 3D and then export the individual faces of the various pieces of wood as DXF files for the laser cutter. 

My question is:

Is there an easy way in Fusion 360 to make interlocking joints like in the example image below without having to model in the slot in half of the pieces (and then use combine/cut)?

Would be great if I could just design them all as intersecting rectangles and then have the slots done automatically.

Thanks for the help!

Screen Shot 2020-09-09 at 9.06.10 AM.png

Labels (1)
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
g-andresen
in reply to: matt.culik

Hi,

here´s one way:

cutout.gif

My recommendation:
create parameters for thickness, height, width ...

günther

Message 3 of 11
2herds

From what I gather you you would like all interlocking item to be made automatically.

Only 2 ideas came to mind for me. First if there is symmetry between most or all the parts then perhaps they could be stacked together and then the cut made. Or, make the part large enough, then make a cut then slice into the parts needed.

All this assumes I am following your proposal.

Message 4 of 11
davebYYPCU

Your suggestion is the simple way, don’t forget the tolerances.

Make one, pattern them.

make a crossing rail, Combine cut, one and pattern it.

You have to create the sockets in the first half for that system to become semi automated.

Install DXFer to streamline the dxf files.

Might help....

Message 5 of 11
etfrench

That's not a very good design for machining as the corners are square and the tool bits are round 😀

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 6 of 11
etfrench
in reply to: etfrench

Missed the laser cutting🤕

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 7 of 11
chrisplyler
in reply to: etfrench

Point still valid. Laser cutters use a round beam, right?

I guess if it's small enough, the interfering corners of wood just compress when you drive the things together?

Or you allow for a tolerance.

Message 8 of 11
davebYYPCU
in reply to: chrisplyler

Yep round beam, so small that you don’t notice it, on mine it is the radius of the 0.2 mm beam, but very much machine specific.

Message 9 of 11
chrisplyler
in reply to: davebYYPCU

No experience with laser cutters myself. Can you set the center of the beam to follow right on the line? Or do you pick a side to leave untouched and the kerf is vaporized on the other side?

Message 10 of 11
davebYYPCU
in reply to: chrisplyler

You elect one or the other, for my work I run centre of the line, adjusting geometry for this type of interlocking Part fit,

most routers have to run edge to the line, (cutter compensation, radius offset and dog bones).

Message 11 of 11
chrisplyler
in reply to: davebYYPCU

Cool. So I'm guessing for THIS project...plywood drawer dividers...just design the parts with no tolerance gap, cut them, then the 0.2mm laser gap will be pretty adequate for sliding the dividers together, and the tiny radius in the corners of the notches will probably actually help it fit right. Close enough to make a solid set of dividers without being hard to assemble or binding up with a little moisture.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report