Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sheet Metal Normal Cut on "Sweep"

17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
BradWilbert
1008 Views, 17 Replies

Sheet Metal Normal Cut on "Sweep"

I am new to F360 and learning to draw parts in Sheet Metal.  I have been drawing in 2D Auto Cad for 20 years and thought that it was time to increase my skill set.  The Attached file is a common kitchen hood that I would traditionally draw in Auto Cad with a lot of math to determine the "Sweep" flat pattern.  I have drawn the part in F360 but I am unable to make a "normal cut" on the sheet metal along the sweep.  I have tried to project the sweep onto another plane and cut the overlapping parts off, but when the part is unfolded the cut is not normal for laser cutting.  The material is 16 GA stainless and the K factor is for my specific press brake and tooling.  I would appreciate suggestions on how to properly complete this drawing.  Thank you.    

Labels (1)
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
kgilham
in reply to: BradWilbert

Hi @BradWilbert 

Would something like the attached work?  I don't think it makes it perfect but it at least gets the edge cut normal to the face.  I just did a unfold then projected the geometry from the other face and then did an extrude.  Let me know if this works for you.

Thanks,

Kyle Gilham
Customer Advocacy Manager
Message 3 of 18
TheCADWhisperer
in reply to: kgilham

@kgilham wrote:

Would something like the attached work? 

No Attachment?

@BradWilbert 

I will show robust technique when I get a chance.

Bump this thread if I forget.

Message 4 of 18
kgilham
in reply to: TheCADWhisperer

Not sure why it didn't attach the first time.

Kyle Gilham
Message 5 of 18
BradWilbert

Kyle,

I opened your attached file and there are no modifications? 

Message 6 of 18

Hey @BradWilbert,

I did some extrudes and I think it worked(after unfolding) If I did understand you correctly.

see the attached model.

Message 7 of 18
kgilham
in reply to: Ajay_Kumar_Reddy

@Ajay_Kumar_Reddy perfect, that's what I was trying to show.  @BradWilbert does that workflow work?  To be totally transparent I moved from the Inventor team in the past month so while I know the sheet metal environment pretty well I'm still getting use to Fusions file system which is causing some screw ups on my end 😅

Let us know if that workflow works for you or if you need something else.

Thanks,

Kyle Gilham
Message 8 of 18

@Ajay_Kumar_Reddy 

In the Flat Pattern, your cut sides are not perpendicular to the Flat.

TheCADWhisperer_0-1616617083371.png

There are also interferences.

TheCADWhisperer_0-1616617290808.png

Message 9 of 18

I am aware of the interference on the inside of the hood, that was intentional.  I sand/grind that inside section to a 45 after it is formed for tig welding.  Yes, the flat is still not 90 degrees to the face.  This is the original issue I could not solve an why I posted the question.  I would also like the 1/16" square section in this model removed to allow for tig welding along the sweep.  I appreciate all the help.   I think that I picked a difficult project to start learning F360!

Message 10 of 18
kgilham
in reply to: BradWilbert

Ok, third times the charm?  This is tricky because of the curve that you are trying to cut across.  I have attached (hopefully it's actually attached) a version that can at least get you the correct flat pattern for creating a dxf.  The basics are to cut the sheet metal in place, then do an unfold and trim the edge to remove the twist on the sides and then refold.  I haven't looked at the 1/16" section yet but let me know if something like this would work for you (assuming I actually posted everything correctly this time) 😄

Kyle Gilham
Message 11 of 18
BradWilbert

Kyle,

I appreciate the help with this drawing and I agree that the curve or sweep makes it tricky.  I understand the steps that you took to unfold and trim the edge to remove the twist while in the flat.  Ultimately this is what I was looking to accomplish.  This process leaves a very minimal gap at the bottom that goes to nothing at the top.  Yes, this will be welded, but it seems like a "work around" to fix the flat.  Is this the only way to draw this part?    

Message 12 of 18

@BradWilbert wrote:

Is this the only way to draw this part?    

No, this is not the only technique.

Message 13 of 18
kgilham

@BradWilbert , it’s very possible there is a better way to do this.  @TheCADWhisperer  can you show us the way you would cut this part?  

Thanks,

Kyle Gilham
Message 14 of 18

@BradWilbert 

@kgilham 

See Attached.

TheCADWhisperer_0-1616684541312.png

Message 15 of 18
kgilham

@TheCADWhisperer that looks great, a much simpler design flow.  @BradWilbert does this workflow work for you?

Kyle Gilham
Message 16 of 18

CAD Whisperer,

WOW!  I have spent the last couple hours looking at the drawing and your design approach.  I appreciate your help and the flat layout is perfect!  I started drawing this in sheet metal and posted the question because I was unable to trim the part.  Due to the curve or "sweep" in this specific design is it always better to start with a solid, thicken, and convert to sheet metal?  I ask because this is a common design that I work with and will start with this design approach for my next project.  Was the 0.001" fillet along the sweep to prevent interference when you thickened the part and converted to sheet metal?  Thank you for the help with this project.  I really appreciate you taking the time to solve this problem and teach me a new design and flat layout technique.  F360 is a great program and now I will have a difficult time going back to Auto CAD.  I will send a picture when the project is complete.  Thanks, Brad   

Message 17 of 18

@BradWilbert wrote:

I ask because this is a common design that I work with and will start with this design approach for my next project. 

After completing the model I figured out a way that I could simplify it just a bit.

I was irritated a bit that I had to do multiple surface trims when I should have only had two trims.

I think I have figured out a way to avoid those trims altogether.

If I get a chance - I will create new example.

Message 18 of 18

Again, I appreciate your time and I would love to learn more if your willing.  This process has been a learning experience, but I can see that it is going to be a big time saver for future projects.  Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report