Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share parameters

17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
Anonymous
16304 Views, 17 Replies

Share parameters

Is it possible to share parameters across designs?

I need to design a bunch of components that fit in a tube that may have a inner diameter that varies according availability and requirement so most of the parameters are formula based. At the moment I have a page of parameter formulas that I have to "cut 'n paste" for each new design.

Is there a way to either access a shared parameter list, use parameters from a design A in design B or export the parameters from design A and import them into design B or some other way of being able centrally manage  parameters across multiple designs?

What would be really great is to be able create and manage a list of parameters centrally and then link designs to the parameter list.

Tx.

rA/.

Tags (1)
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Not across separate files, at least not at the moment. But in Fusion you can create multiple components and assemblies within the same file and reuse parameters from the list. Maybe thats an option for you.

Hope that helps!

Niels

Message 3 of 18
Anonymous

hi.

i'am from Viet Nam.

You can one file excel, affer you link to inventor.

all part link to this excel.

when you apdate excel, all part will apdate.

===

nice to meet you.

Message 4 of 18
Zero__

Just agreeing here. I have a big assembly made up of several parts that use the same flange bushing. The diameter of the press fit hole may vary depending on whether I use a pilot hole (and if so what size) or hope my waterjet cutter can hold the tolerances for a press fit hole. Depending on what I decide, I have to go through each part and change the dozen holes for this flange bearing

It would be great if I could update a Project-wide parameter, and all of these holes updated. Right now, I have to go through these parts one by one changing the clones of this parameter for each separate design.
---
"The future is already here - it's just not that evenly distributed."
Message 5 of 18
P_Korgaonkar
in reply to: Zero__

Hello There,

I have created part file which has only parameter values.

No sketch or no fetures

When I create new part or new assembly, I link this part and import parameters.

So now when I change value of any parameter from my firs part, all the parts using these parameters and all the assemblies using values from this part will update.

Is this what you want achieve?

Capture.JPG

To link this part parameters,

Start new part, go to parameters and click on link and select parameter part then choose parameters you want when prompted.

If you add parameters at later stage,

Go to parameter box, click on linked part and edit to choose new parameters.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Parag

Message 6 of 18

Is that screen shot from Fusion, my parameters dialog doesn't look like that.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 18

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello There,

I have created part file which has only parameter values.

No sketch or no fetures

When I create new part or new assembly, I link this part and import parameters.

So now when I change value of any parameter from my firs part, all the parts using these parameters and all the assemblies using values from this part will update.

Is this what you want achieve?

To link this part parameters,

Start new part, go to parameters and click on link and select parameter part then choose parameters you want when prompted.

If you add parameters at later stage,

Go to parameter box, click on linked part and edit to choose new parameters.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Parag

I don't think this works in Fusion, if you have a linked part it's parameters are not available in the design it's inserted into.

Inserted Bolt, no parameters in the assembly.

Capture.PNG

Parameters only avalible when I open the part.

Capture04.PNG

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 8 of 18
Anonymous
in reply to: HughesTooling

Thanks for you reply ... 

I did find a workaround using the "Parameter I/O" addin for Fusion 360 and I have adjusted how I work a bit. With the addin I can import a csv file with a default set of parameters I use (material dimensions etc) and then I export the updated parameters from one design into a project specific CSV file to import into the next design in the project. With a little bit of in advance planning, a bit of forethought and sketching I am sure that I can get most of the parameters predefined before hand.

Although the ideal would be to be able to manage a central parameter file (and I may have a chat with some developers to see it if would be possible to use Fusion APIs to build an addin to read a csv file) I now have an offline parameter set that I can re-use and I have far fewer issues as the project gets more parts.

tC/.

Message 9 of 18
P_Korgaonkar

Sorry Guys for confusion,

I have shared Inventor parameter screen

Regards
Paarg
Message 10 of 18

Hi all...

Looks like some of your concerns would be met by the feature I describe in my Ideastation post on Parameter Uniqueness per Component - https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/ideastation-request-a-feature-or/parameter-uniqueness-per-component-n....

If that would help in this situation (or others you've seen), please upvote it so we can get it implemented!

Thanks...

George Williams
D3 Technologies - Automation Solutions
************************************************************************************
If this post helps, please click the "thumbs up" to give kudos
If this post answers your question, please click "Accept as Solution"
************************************************************************************
Message 11 of 18
ahdomsayre

Bump on this Autodesk. Project-wide parameters need to exist!

Message 12 of 18
Anonymous

Hi, Yes you can! First you have to add the parameters you want to share to favorites. Then you go to CREATE--> DERIVE and tic parameters. They will appear in the parameters of the new modell with a reference to the source. I hope this helps. Greetings Max
Message 13 of 18
Anonymous

To access them in the new modell you have to add "_Ref" to the original parameter name.
Message 14 of 18
Anonymous

Thanks Max,

This great ... I will put this into production with my team. Our lives will be so much easier.

tC/.

Message 15 of 18
r9guy

Can you show as a sample please?

Message 16 of 18
burtronix

To clarify, "_ref" is appended to the parameter name in the derived parameter list. You will need to add "_ref" to the original parameter name when using it in the new model.

burtronix_0-1588259147240.png

Message 17 of 18
Anonymous

YES! Thank you!

Message 18 of 18
Anonymous

I found the following YouTube link extremely helpful.

Very detailed and organized.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2ImR7OlBJQ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report