Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seeking tips for tight-fitting lens filter adapter

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
karl
663 Views, 7 Replies

Seeking tips for tight-fitting lens filter adapter

I'd like to 3D print a filter adapter to fit over the hood of this lens.  I envision a round ring that accommodates the hood contours (for orientation) on the camera  side with a flat surface on the opposite side to which I'll glue a round filter adapter allowing me to screw in standard, round filters. 

I can imagine several ways to fasten the ring to the hood (e.g. make a radial slit all the way through the ring and bridge it with a screw to cinch the ring tightly to the hood; while not a fast or convenient solution, I'll probably leave the ring on all the time with a UV filter to protect the lens), but thought I'd check in here for better ideas.  Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
etfrench
in reply to: karl

The screw method will probably be the most secure.

You could also use an O-ring to make a slide on holder more secure.

Do you have a larger image of lens? 

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 3 of 8
karl
in reply to: etfrench

Here’s one.  And another.

Message 4 of 8
chrisplyler

Personally I would go with a friction fit. Measure the outside diameter of the lense's hood. Model your ring with an inside diameter a couple thousandths smaller. Print it.

Test fit and sand out the interior diameter of the ring until it pushes onto the hood but won't pull off easily.

Message 5 of 8
etfrench

Here's another way:

7-14Adapter.jpg

Make it a friction fit and make it more secure by adding tabs to catch on the back of the hood.

The other thing to consider is blocking stray light from hitting the front lens.  Here's how I did a hood for my 60mm lens:

lenshood.jpg

Any light rays that don't directly hit the lens are reflected back out.

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 6 of 8
karl
in reply to: etfrench

I think your solution with the clips is the way to go, etfrench.  There are some tight tolerances involved to get it to work, but it shouldn't take more than a couple of prints.  Thanks.

Message 7 of 8
karl
in reply to: chrisplyler

This is a good idea, chrisplyler, but it's so dependent on the right fit I'd be worried about ambient temperature possibly making it expand and come loose.  Might never happen, of course, but etfrench's idea of a friction fit with retaining clips (below) mitigates that risk.

Message 8 of 8
chrisplyler

Agreed.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report