Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing Parts and Dimensions Over Constrained

24 REPLIES 24
SOLVED
Message 1 of 25
Anonymous
2500 Views, 24 Replies

Removing Parts and Dimensions Over Constrained

I have succeeded in entering dimensions on the right and lower side of my sketch. But when I try on the left side it comes with a complaint that it is over constrained. I just want to be able to insert the dimension and thus move the line to the corresponding dimension. How can I do that if I get the over constrained warning?

I am trying to remove a part of the sketch, the part below the radiused curves. I cannot break the line. Now I have tried to enter a vertical dimension below and get again the over constrained warning. Please let me know how to remove the indent within the radiused curves and get enter and get the right dimensions without an over constrained warning. Thank you.

Labels (3)
24 REPLIES 24
Message 2 of 25
g-andresen
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

1.Please share the file.

File > export > save as f3d locally  > attach it to the next post.

2. What lengths are you talking about?

3. Please insert screenshots by embedding them (camera symbol).

This way it is easier to understand the content without having to switch back and forth.

günther

Message 3 of 25
Anonymous
in reply to: g-andresen

Thanks for the quick reply, günther.

Yesterday I managed to insert the dimensions below and on the left. I decided to call it a day and resume today. I could not insert the dimensions on the right because every time I did that instead of prompting me to enter the correct value it came with an error message of being over constrained. What I really want is to get the lines unstuck so that I can specify the locations and dimensions.

The other issue is I want to make an indent in the bottom part of the panel between dimensions 106 on the left and 86 on the right. I have not succeeded in removing all this material as it is stuck to the rest of the panel. I intend to remove more material in the inside as I would like to make holes and rectangles. The PDF file gives an idea of the finished product.

I am afraid that I do not understand point 3.

George

Message 4 of 25
JDMather

Your horizontal line is not constrained to the Origin at the Midpoint.

I would start over... which is what I am going to do ...back in a minute...

Notice that my geometry is black - indicating fully constrained...

JDMather_0-1601222693505.png

Notice that if you take little bites at a time - you are less likely to overwhelm Fusion... ..(or yourself)...

JDMather_0-1601223920799.png

... and more bites...

JDMather_1-1601225076432.png

JDMather_0-1601225640108.png

Getting the idea?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 25
JDMather

JDMather_0-1601225728438.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 6 of 25
g-andresen

Hi,

1. @JDMather  has already pointed to the horizontal relationship and gave the recommendation not to overload the sketches.
2. avoid setting construction lines in the future, but place and dimension (position&size) the elements (lines, circles, rectangangles ..).
3. the comprehensibility of the contributions will be improved if images are integrated into the text.
This can be achieved in this way:

embed image.png

günther

Message 7 of 25
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

Thank you for your repy.

I reckon that this means that I will have to start all over again. This time I will have to locate every hole and dimensions, complete it and then go to the next. Is there no way I can repair what I have done?

How do I make the lower indent? Thanks.

George

Message 8 of 25
Anonymous
in reply to: g-andresen

Hi günther,

As I mentioned I reckon that I will have to start all over again. I reckon that I will have to start with the indent in the lower line. Then I will have to place one item, set its dimensions and then continue with the next item. I thought that I could use the construction lines as scaffolding.

As for the camera, in your opinion what images should I embed in what text? I was not thinking of putting any text, only sketching and adding dimensions. Thanks.

George

Message 9 of 25
Anonymous

Thank you for your answers.

As I am new to this I would like to know how to make holes in my sketch. I have added circles and rectangles to my sketch and I would like to remove the material within them. What I am enclosing is the old version as I will start afresh with a new sketch.

Message 10 of 25
JDMather

@Anonymous 

Watch this video and then examine the Attached *.f3d file...

Message 11 of 25
Anonymous

My, you really impressed me with all this! I wish that I could do something like that.

What you made is 90% of what I want. What I want is something in two dimensions. I attach the finished product. I am willing to make everything manually to my specifications. I have been frustrated as several of my entries have disappeared, others cannot be modified or corrected and sometimes I do not find the grid.

You are absolutely right, the holes have a diameter of 12 mm.

Thank you very much.

George

Message 12 of 25
Anonymous

I have just seen the file Whisper Calibrate Canvas.f3d. I was wondering whether I could use it directly for my project. In that case I would not need any texture. What I would need is the dimensions, the ability to change dimensions and to add items like circles, lines and more dimensions. Otherwise I am willing to make it all from scratch.

Another thought: would you be able to make what I want for a fee? You seem to be very proficient and can make things at once, while I would take hours to do this. Thanks.

George

Message 13 of 25
JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

What I want is something in two dimensions. 

Assuming you want a 2D DXF at then end - I would finish the part as 3D, then start a new sketch on the face and Project the face.  I would then right click on this sketch and Export as DXF.

It might be worth going through the Tutorials before jumping into an actual project.

Every line, circle, rectangle should be fully defined.  Step-by-step. 

Message 14 of 25
Anonymous

Thank you for your advice. I have purchased two books on Autodesk Fusion 360 and done the exercises before I started with my design. I thought that it would be straightforward. Unfortunately it has been a case of one step forward two steps back. Sometimes I lose dimensions, sometimes I cannot add dimensions, sometimes I cannot introduce changes, sometimes I lose the grid. It seemed to me that after saving and closing in order to continue later or the next day when I open I find something different. Ideally if I save it when looking at the front I would like to open it thus when I restart.

Message 15 of 25
g-andresen

Hi,

In #2 I asked to include images belonging to question in the post and not attach them as attachments.
To show how it´s done I embeded a screenshot in #6.
If images are embeded we have a better understanding and no need switchting between text and pictures.

Günther

Message 16 of 25
TheCADWhisperer

@Anonymous wrote:

I have purchased two books on Autodesk Fusion 360 and done the exercises before I started with my design. 

Unfortunately the most basic of all steps must have been missed in those books.

My Rule #1. Fully constrain each line, circle, arc or rectangle as you go.

If at any step you have a blue line, circle, arc or rectangle - stop and ask questions.

If at any step you have unexpected behavior - stop and ask questions - do not plow forward without having questions resolved.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLp5izJt_zvN1D-FzQL6HVLgVUQ-RaidH2

Message 17 of 25
Anonymous
in reply to: TheCADWhisperer

Thank you very much for this comprehensive tutorial. I found it very interesting and helpful.

Now I have eleven circles which are aligned horizontally with constraints. I want to add a dimension from the axis. When I try to do so it says that it is over constrained. My wish is to "break loose" this dimension so that I can enter the correct dimension.

To achieve that I have tried to deconstrain the circles. I have clicked on the horizontal bars and Delete but they remain. I have accidentally removed a dimension and even a circle (since restored). My idea is to set the distance of one circle with the axis and then constrain the rest with the correctly placed one. Is this feasible?

Thank you.

Message 18 of 25
TheCADWhisperer

@Anonymous wrote:

...My idea is to set the distance of one circle with the axis and then constrain the rest with the correctly placed one. Is this feasible?

Attach your latest *.f3d file here.

Message 19 of 25
Anonymous
in reply to: TheCADWhisperer

Thank you for your quick reply. Your idea was mine as well. The problem is that I cannot unconstrain the circles. I would like to do so, then give the vertical dimension of the right circle to 22.5 (at present all are 30) and then reconstrain all circles with the one on the right. Please let me know how I can unconstrain them. Thank you.

Attached you will find the file.

Message 20 of 25
TheCADWhisperer

Delete Horizntal Constraints.png

Edit Sketch4

Delete the two horizontal constraints shown in red box.  (The purple points are projected geometry from another sketch. (Sketch3))  The circles will now be blue rather than black and vertical location can be dimensioned.)

Tip:  Do not apply the same dimensions over and over again (the hole diameters).

Dimension one of them and then add Equal (=) constraints to the others.  That way if you need to change the diameter you only change one dimension (and the screen is far less cluttered).

TheCADWhisperer_0-1601381877095.png

BTW - your first sketch is not fully defined - I am in process of creating step-by-step videos...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report