Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Radius sheet metal with taper sizes not flattening.

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
jasonlthornton
137 Views, 2 Replies

Radius sheet metal with taper sizes not flattening.

I'm trying to cut a profile from a radius plate. I was able to do this with straight sides by creating a cylinder, converting to sheet metal, make the cut profile into a body, splitting the face using the profile body as a splitting tool, and negatively pressing the area I don't want by one thickness. This worked no problem.

I was asked to update the profile and taper the profile sides. I used the same method and the thickness looks good on the part but when I go to flatten it gets a computation error. Is there a better way to do this?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Not 100% sure why but with the taper the side of the part are not flat but must have a small twist. You can see this if you right click on the face, there's no option to create a sketch or plane.

HughesTooling_0-1720800090013.png

I modified your design and added a small tag on one end without a taper, you can make this smaller than I have here. I then extruded a small flat to use as the stationary face for the flat pattern. Again you can make these very small after setting it up.

HughesTooling_1-1720800280752.png

And flat pattern.

HughesTooling_2-1720800333469.png

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 3

That fixed it! I was thinking there had to be a twist or bevel somewhere to cause the issue, but the taper was too light to find it. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report