Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Radius for rectangle

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
contactR9VDY
580 Views, 15 Replies

Radius for rectangle

Hi,

I'd like to know if there is an easier way of creating radius for a rectangle or even better rectangular shape. I had a 48 x 50 x 98 box that one end needed to be rounded to 65mm.

I solved it by creating the said rectangle then creating a circle with 130mm diameter then cutting the rectangle with the circle.

This felt like so much pain that there must be another solution for this. I've attached an image about this so in case my explanation lacks clarity the snapshot should clear it up.

I know there is the fillet tool but I couldn't find a way to do what I needed. So if the answer is "use the fillet tool" I'd like to know exactly how.

Thanks!

Labels (2)
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16

Can you File>Export your *.f3d file to your local drive and then Attach it here to a Reply?

Message 3 of 16
elgatoguiri
in reply to: contactR9VDY

Sure. Although I don't see how that helps me understanding the process. Which one do you need? I've got one with where the fillet is not done and another where it's done.

Message 4 of 16

I've attached the file

Message 5 of 16
davebYYPCU
in reply to: elgatoguiri

Yes, using the circle, or 3 point arc, for the Extrude works, 

but no fillet is not the tool for that.

If the sketching is finished first, you extrude the inner profile in one shot.

Might help...

Message 6 of 16

TheCADWhisperer_0-1657710295037.png

What manufacturing process will be used to fabricate this?

Sheet metal and weldment?

3D Printing (if printed, how many bodies)?

Are all of your sketches fully defined?

Are there any unresolved issues indicated in your Timeline?

Will either of the two holes be threaded?  If yes, what fastener size?

Message 7 of 16
elgatoguiri
in reply to: davebYYPCU

The real problem was that I forgot to do it while sketching at the beginning and I had to do it at the very end of everything. Sure my cad skills are rusty and just begun to play around with fusion360 but it took me way longer than I expected...

Thanks for the arc tip! I'll check it out!

Message 8 of 16

Why do you ask these questions? It has nothing to do with my original problem.

Message 9 of 16

@elgatoguiri wrote:

I was in the process of doing a redesign based on Design for Manufacturability.

Looking at your geometry - I suspect that some changes would be desirable.

Message 10 of 16

Yes, plenty of redesign necessary. Mainly because I screwed up some of the measurements and have to adjust them now. Not to mention that after printing the thing out, it seems that some of my design choices aren't really useful at all.

But I just want to know if there is an easy way of rounding one end of a rectangle with a bigger diameter circle than the rectangle is. I've been told that arc is one way of doing it apart of creating the said circle and cutting the not needed parts of the rectangle off.

Message 11 of 16

@elgatoguiri wrote:

He's trying to help you identify and prevent problems you did not know you will run into 😉

EESignature

Message 12 of 16

Yeah, currently every new line I draw requires intense googling and youtubeing so I certainly appreciate that. The thing is that his questions are so way above my head right now and I just didn't understand what it had anything to do with rounding one end of a rectangle.

By the way I redraw the whole thing and turned out to be much better. I don't get why there isn't there an easy, two click way to do this though.

In any way thanks for the help!

Message 13 of 16

If you're interested in continuing your education, then please provide your updated model.

Currently in this thread there are at least 50 years of combined professional CAD and engineering experience. You won't find that easily on YouTube 😉

EESignature

Message 14 of 16

That's much more than I could ask for! Thanks

I've uploaded the updated model. I had to do some modifications and tuning on my 3d printer to make the thing happen, but finally it did come out fine. Except for some strange extrusion problems but for now at least, I could try the thing out and come back to make some changes to the model.

Message 15 of 16

If you do a Section Analysis on the XZ plane you will see some voids that should not be there.

TheCADWhisperer_0-1659194298761.png

I will try to find time to remodel from scratch the way I would do it.  Check back and bump this back to the top if you don't see a new Attachment in the next few days.

Message 16 of 16
elgatoguiri
in reply to: contactR9VDY

Yeah, there are some problems. I've just tried to change the shape of the funnel to a straighter shape so it would allow a better slide but it seems that there are missing profiles and the whole thing breaks if I simply remove the middle one. It looked so neat, though 😅

Thanks for looking into it!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report