Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Failed to perform boolean operation" when sweeping or combine/cut from profile?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
5221 Views, 5 Replies

"Failed to perform boolean operation" when sweeping or combine/cut from profile?

Hi Guys

I've encountered a strange one this morning. Im attempting to sweep this profile as a cutting operation around the top of this table top replicating a type of router bit we utilise at work. This would not work due to it first "intersecting itself" and now "boolean feature could not be created". A couple of times I attempted to create a new body then combine, cut, do not keep tools. The new body created, but then when attempting to combine, cut, do not keep tools it had the same error "failed to perform boolean operation".

Typically I would just use the lowest outer profile line of the top body as the path but it didn't seem to like it hence the offset line on the top im attempting to use.

The fillet at the corners would also normally only be 50 but have increased that durastically to try fix my problems to no avail.

I do these sorts of operations allllll the time but for some odd reason is failing for this one.

Any help would be much appreciated! 

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
laughingcreek
in reply to: Anonymous

the sweep is failing at the halfway point of the table.  interestingly, the curvature comb of the path looks like this at that point-

laughingcreek_0-1598998398953.png

this terrible curvature is being caused by 2 things-

1-offseting sketch splines frequently causes bad curvature in fusion. (work arounf is to extrude a surace, offset the surface, and use the edge of that instead. curvature quality will be better.)

2-the tangent constraint shown here was applied to the vertical line.  there is a microscopic curve right at the end of the line. (the tangent handle is actually very small and vertical here.  that's why you cant see it. delete the tangent constraint and just make the tangent handle horizontal instead.)

laughingcreek_1-1598998691782.png

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: laughingcreek

hi there thanks for helping me here. I have removed the tangent constraint, and made the handle horizontal but still no luck! Still problems around that midpoint

Message 4 of 6
laughingcreek

most likely there are still problems with the splines. (can't say, you didn't attach a new file).  using mirror or symmetry on splines is difficult because certain changes don't automatically get reflected in the other splines. 

one way to avoid that is to not use symmetry/mirror on fit point splines.

see attached.

I also moved the profile in off the edge .5 mm because it wasn't fully cutting thru every where.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: laughingcreek

You were dead right, there was a whole mess of things going on at that vertices at the mirror line. Started again and good to go. Secondary question, what was that curvature comb thing you had going on in your earlier post??

Message 6 of 6
laughingcreek

curvature combs are  useful tool when doing anything with curves or when surfacing.  for sketch curves, you can turn them on from the sketch pallet, and for body edges you use the tool under the "inspect" tab.  I suggest googling them and learning how to use if you haven't already.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report