Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Projected Sketch Question

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
changedsoul
461 Views, 6 Replies

Projected Sketch Question

So I am learning how to us this program, watching some videos, etc, and one particular video was explaining projecting features onto a sketch. I was thinking to myself...this is a pretty awesome ability. So in my learning project I tried some of it, but quickly found out my solid bodies were not where they needed to be to do a project like I wanted.

So my question is how do you get these bodies into position so the projected lines are where they need to be. What I ended up doing(not sure is its the best way), I created a joint between the two objects which caused the two bodies to move into postion where I wanted them. But I dont know much abotu joints yet, and I cant see this being the way to acomplish this. I manually moved them too, but then here I am just eye balling the pos.

Do the bodies need to be drawn in pos from the get go?

Anyways, hope my quesrtion was clear.

Thanks in advance for any responces.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
keqingsong
in reply to: changedsoul

@changedsoul thanks for reaching out! Projected sketch lets you project parts or an entire sketch profile onto another plane or a face. If you want to move the original sketch and have the projected sketch also update based on that move, you can edit the original sketch by going to the timeline at the bottom and clicking on edit sketch. Then select what you want to move, right click and select move. This will let you use the manipulators to move the sketch. Once you're done, click on FINISH SKETCH and the project sketch should also update. 

As for joints, maybe these videos will help point you in the right direction: 

Start with this one: 

Then watch this one: 

Then this: 

Let me know if you have questions about any of this! We're here to help. 

Keqing Song
Autodesk Fusion Community Manager
Portland, Oregon, USA

Become an Autodesk Fusion Insider

Message 3 of 7
changedsoul
in reply to: keqingsong

I am impressed at how quickly responces come on this forum. Thanks for taking the time putting them videos up. I am not ready to deal with joints just yet though.

As far as projecting features onto another sketch plane, I would have to "Edit" the sketch, and "Move" the sketch into position?  If moving the scetch into position requires the the scetch, I would need to edit the "newer" of the two scetches because when the edit is in effect, everything from that point in hostory has not been done yet.  correct?

Message 4 of 7
keqingsong

If you made edits to the original sketch, the projected sketch that is based off of the original should update to the edits you made to the original.

Keqing Song

Keqing Song
Portland, Oregon, USA

Message 5 of 7
changedsoul

@keqingsong wrote:
If you made edits to the original sketch, the projected sketch that is based off of the original should update to the edits you made to the original.

Keqing Song

I understand that, I think I am not explaining myself well.

In order to project the geometry in the location you need, the two items need to be ligned up correct? So if I needed to project some geometry onto another in a specific location, these two bodies need to be aligned before hand right?

Message 6 of 7
keqingsong

Yes. You can use the Align tool to do that. Let me make a gif and show you in a bit.

Keqing Song

Keqing Song
Portland, Oregon, USA

Message 7 of 7
changedsoul

Ahhh the align tool. Awesome. I knew it was something easy.Seems the videos I have been watching left that part out. Perhaps its for assembly stuff more(?), and so its not really menetioned in early starter  tutorials.

Thanks a bunch for getting back to quick. I wrote this before your animation, so I wont respond back after you post it, but I will watch. And thanks a bunch for taking the time to show me.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report