Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with a 1998 Chevrolet Tahoe Speaker Grill Spacer

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
lizarddragon1054
552 Views, 11 Replies

Problems with a 1998 Chevrolet Tahoe Speaker Grill Spacer

The problem I am having with the speaker grill is that we have new speakers that we put in the car. They are larger, and so make the speaker stick out too much. As a solution, I thought I might try and make a spacer between the speaker grill and the door panel. I started out, and have run into problems making the curves fit on the speaker. I used a fit point spline and graph paper to make the curve, but when I used that spline, it made the curve warped. Normal lines didn't work either. The dimensions of the speaker grill are as follows: 17cm wide, 25.5cm long at the shortest section, 30cm long at the longest part on the curve, and if you are viewing it from a side, 5cm tall from the completely flat part to where the vertical curve ends. 

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

In addition, I would like to add that I am 14 and this is my first CAD project. As such, consider me completely unfamiliar with Fusion 360 (because I am).

Message 3 of 12

It will help us to see what you are describing, 

did you import the drawing as a Canvass?

Do you have Front and side view photos?

Under File, Select Export, Save to your hard drive, then in the next message, just under the text window, select your file in the attachments window.

Message 4 of 12

Hi,

it's nice that you're trying to solve a technical problem this way, respect.
Can you take one or more pictures and mark the measurements and the important places.

Then we can communicate better.

kind regards

günther

Message 5 of 12

IMG_20190317_103509.jpgIMG_20190317_103534.jpgIMG_20190317_103549.jpg

I did not import the drawing as a canvas. Instead, I thought that I would take measurements of how far points were away from each other on the graph paper about every centimeter lengthwise. 

Message 6 of 12

On the top view of the grill (where you can see the circle thing and the mesh part), the horizontal curve is the part on the left-hand side, the vertical curve is the one that you can see in the second photo mainly, and the long side, short side, and width are easily seen

Message 7 of 12

Ok can do it from these pics, only thing now is the diameter of the hole for the speaker?

we get that and ..

If this is the original, what has to be changed....

Later....

Message 8 of 12

I basically want the space extended between the speaker grill and the door panel. I tried to make a spacer out of putty that hardens, but it was just too inaccurate and it looks ugly. I need the spacer to be 4cm thick and fit to the speaker grill curves. Don't worry about the little plastic tabs, I'm going to cut those off. IMG_20190318_173444.jpgIMG_20190318_173810.jpgIMG_20190318_173851.jpg

Message 9 of 12

... and the speaker diameter is

Message 10 of 12

Sorry I didn't reply sooner. The diameter of the speaker is 16.5cm 

Message 11 of 12

Thanks, will see if I can get a file that will allow you to tweak it, ..

Message 12 of 12

This should get you close, hard to tell if the face is flat or 3d, from the photo, I have it flat.

You have actual dimensions to plug into the sketches, fillets etc, and the file will update.

A better way is to make a Sheet metal plate, from Sketch 2, flat pattern it, and draw the outline of a template (my sketch 1) you may have,  cut it then refold, for the accuracy that will bring, but I don't have the template dimensions,  

DodgeSpkr.PNG

I didn't remember if you were going 40 or 50mm deep, but just change the Move distance for that.

Same with the thicken, I have gone 3 perimeters on 0.4, so 1.2, may not be what you want.

Might help....

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report