Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with curved & engraved Text

18 REPLIES 18
SOLVED
Message 1 of 19
Anonymous
790 Views, 18 Replies

Problem with curved & engraved Text

Good evening everybody (Europe here),

as the title of the post already says, I am currently trying to find a way how to engrave text along a curve.

I have found a couple of things about text wrapped around cylinders as well as curved text - but all these examples are extruded texts.

I am having a (round) slice on which I would like to engrave a curved text. So I have drawn an arc, and followed one of the videos I found in the internet to produce a curved text.

but at the end, the text there is extruded (or lets say raised/positiv). But as I would like to engrave it, it must be plunged/negative.

Could anyone please let me knot if there is a source or if anyone has an idea how to produce this in Fusion 360?

And yes, I am a complete noobie and this is my first CAD trial ever!

Thanks for your help!

HJS

Labels (1)
18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
etfrench
in reply to: Anonymous

Enter a negative number for the Extrude distance.

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
in reply to: etfrench

thanks for the fast reply! 

unfortunately I followed a video in which this ways would lead to the complete deletion?

so maybe this way is already the wrong one...

can I post the link to the video on YouTube here in this forum?

Message 4 of 19
laughingcreek

you can  post the url to the video in the body of your post.

you can also post screen shoots explaining what your doing, and even attach models that you export from fusion as an .f3d file.

Message 5 of 19
g-andresen

Hi,

For engraving you do not need an extrusion but the sketch with a standard font, no Single line.
This should have no overlaps. With Engrave and a V-Bit an engraving depth is generated depending on the line distance.

Günther

Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
in reply to: laughingcreek

ok thanks, so I have been watching this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zw2rgYm6kAk

and this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfJBy9xpqI8

what I am doing is a simple slice - I am attaching a screenshot; and into this slice I would like to engrave something parallel (curved) to the edge

Screenshot 2020-09-02 at 21.54.55.png

Message 7 of 19
laughingcreek

at about 2:15 in the first video, you would jut sink those bodies (the text) into the matereal the depth you want the engraving to be, and do a "combine" function, with it set to "cut". 

Message 8 of 19
Anonymous

mhh 🤔 that sounds easy 🙄 

thank you very very much ! I will try this tomorrow morning.

Message 9 of 19
g-andresen

Hi,

Even if I repeat myself, creating engraving in the Manufacture Environment does not need to be modeled in design mode, unless you want to present the design in a rendering.

günther

Message 10 of 19
laughingcreek
in reply to: g-andresen

@g-andresen -I think the OP is just modeling.  isn't doing anything with manufacturing.

Message 11 of 19
Anonymous

@g-andresen  slowly I understand what you mean(t) and you are correct, I would like to draw the slice fist completely before I start manufacturing it

I am at the very beginning of an idea and would like to design my slice with text first...and therefore I am completely in the "virtual" world currently.

If I manage to design my slice the next step would be the investment into a shaper origin or a step craft machine, etc. etc.

but as noobie I am trying to fix a couple of loose ends first 😅

Message 12 of 19
Anonymous

wow I got one letter into the slice 😊

but it looks a little distorted? is this only in the virtual view or would any cnc mill create it like this? 🤔

Message 13 of 19
g-andresen

Hi,

How did you create the H?
If it was made with the help of sheet metal tools, the appearance is normal and will be made (milled) this way later.
In sketch mode there was for a short time the option "Text on path", but this was removed for further development.
With low distortion, letters on the path can currently only be created with an external application (Inkscape, Gravit Designer...) or by aligning them at the appropriate angle on the curve.

günther

Message 14 of 19
StephenCim-001

Yes, if you use the method show in the video , the letter will be 'Bent'   , If you want the lettering to remain free of distortion you need to use a different method.

basically place each letter 1 at a time 😞

Screen Shot 2020-09-03 at 8.40.51 pm.png

Message 15 of 19
Anonymous

ok thanks, to geht it right: can I do another svg in another application and sink it as well than in the slice?

yes I did like in the video via metal sheet...

text on path would be it exactly...🙄

Message 16 of 19
Anonymous
in reply to: StephenCim-001

so you mean I make a sketch, create text, set the text and sink this than?

Message 17 of 19
g-andresen

Hi,

here´s a screencast where a curved text is created with GRAVIT and imported in FUSION

günther

Message 18 of 19
Anonymous

hi Gunther, 

danke vielmals, thx a lot - how did you bring the sag into fusion? copy/paste?

I used insert svg?

Message 19 of 19
Anonymous

worked great - thank you very very much!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report